Default AM Band on radio not working.

Yesterday the AM band on the radio stopped working. FM Bands plus the CD continue to work. Any suggestions?.

Mine died last February, or thereabouts. AM initially started to distort and cut out intermittently, until it eventually ceased working altogether. No problem with the FM side, or the CD. The unit was replaced under warranty by the dealer (thank goodness) as I believe the unit is darned pricey and the labour involved to pull much of the dash apart, would have made it an expensive exercise. Let's know how you get on.
    Peter

This (apparently) is a known Volvo problem on a number of Volvo models. It has to do with the radio loosing its ground connection. Our C30 was done a couple of months ago and was fixed under warranty. At the time I was told "it wouldn't happen again" from which I would conclude it was an original manufacturing fault. But because its not safety related, there's been no recall and it appears Volvo Australia is fixing them up on a needs basis.

Tony

On our S80, it was several issues at once...The antenna connection in the C-pillar corroded and the internal "ladder" something or other went bad. Bose response to Volvo is that no one listens to AM anyway, from what my service writer told me. But ours was replaced under warranty without question
    96 850 glt (deceased @260k?)
    02 V70XC 120k (traded)
    09 S80 39k
    10 VW Croutan 17k
    98 Chevy K1500 4x 84k
    67 Pont Lemans convt
    09 Chevy Tahoe PPV

Is there any kind of RTJ on this? My AM band went out as well and I have had mine for nearly 3 yrs so I don't think I could get it under warranty unless there is a known problem published like a RTJ. FWIW I listen to AM because of the weather warnings around OKC and also for some of the talk radio.
    2008 XC70 Black/Sandstone
    previous:
    2004 XC70 Crystal Green/Brown trade in @79K

my 2008 v70 had the same problem 1 week after I sold it my golfing buddy. I know the Volvo service manager & called him, apparently it is a known Volvo issue. got it fixed under warranty, they replace the whole radio unit, no recall.
    XC70 2003 2.5T Geartronic, Silver; Front & rear skid, luxury pack, now sold, but what a great car.
    Now 2008 V70 T6 AWD,bluetooth, sunroof, active bixenon, 4C suspension,
    2005 Mecedes C class AMG sports upgrade

The vehicle was taken to the local Volvo dealer who replaced the total radio/CD unit without question. Would appear that it not being a safety issue Vovlo are no required to issue recalls. Also if it happens outside of warranty then can avoid a replacement at no cost - which is really penny pinching and not a good image for the brand.

Default AM band dead in 2008 XC70

Mine abruptly stopped working. Didn't realize it until my son desperately wanted to hear the end of the Stanley Cup finals and nothing would work! Dealer replaced entire radio under warranty. A year later, and so far no problems.
    dlmielke