Default Driving without ABS?

So the ABS/brake lights came on indicating I have a problem... cost to fix: $1700. OUCH. The mechanic said that I CAN drive w/o ABS - is it safe?? And I didn't go to the dealership!
    Last edited by ba2120; 09-08-2011 at 06:24 AM.

Depends if you know how to use real brakes w/o ABS. I drove years and years
    without them with no problems. You need to realize that they can grab if you are
    really on them and one tire looses some traction, you will have to let off a little
    to keep things straight. If you skid you will have to let off some to get traction
    again... In other words, you will have to know how to drive a car and the car
    not control itself.
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005

The brake system is well engineered and ABS is just an added feature. BUT ABS on an XC90 is also the control unit performing rollover stability control and dynamic stability traction control. DSTC tries to keep you out of trouble and RSC is the feature to greatly deter rollover.

Is the ABS module (actually the BCM---brake control module) the faulty part?

The 850 in my sig was driven in that condition for 3 years. I was never able to get to it as I had to put out the bigger fires first. I am a relatively aggressive driver and the only time I "locked up" the brakes, only the rear actually locked up. Just like ABS you have to know what is going to happen when, take it to a large open lot and find out.
    96 850 glt (deceased @260k?)
    02 V70XC 120k (traded)
    09 S80 39k
    10 VW Croutan 17k
    98 Chevy K1500 4x 84k
    67 Pont Lemans convt
    09 Chevy Tahoe PPV

Thanks for the replies!
    I imagine my first few cars did not have ABS (as one was a 1986 mustang and the other was a 1988 Mercedes E300). I did fine, for the most part!
    Now my question is this... is there anyway to turn off the "brake failure, stop safely" message in the message window? Additionally, my tripometer is not functioning either. I imagine I will have to get it fixed at some point, but prefer to put it off for a while if I can!

Quote Originally Posted by ba2120 View Post
    So the ABS/brake lights came on indicating I have a problem... cost to fix: $1700. OUCH. The mechanic said that I CAN drive w/o ABS - is it safe??
    Who quoted you $1700? Must be a Volvo dealership...if the ABS on your vehicle is like the 1st generation XCs (mine is a 98) the root cause of the problem is most likely bad solder joints on the ABS module circuit board. There are several guys out on the Internet that might be able to fix yours or send you a rebuilt/repaired replacement module in exhange for your defective one for less than $100 dollars (again not sure if you later model XC90 module is in fact the same or similar to the older ones). Check out the threads on this topic in the 1998-2001 XC70 forum and/or on the Matthews Volvo site.

I don't think many of the guys repairing ABS modules do anything with the 2002 and newer versions. Xemodex does. Search for them and check out their offerings.

It's an '07...
    The cost was $1575 for repair and then another $100 or so for a software upgrade or something.

I hope thats not the cost OMG. Tonite driving my 04 xc90, dashlights/radio/hi beams went off several tmes for just a fraction of a secnd/then back on. I was able to use hi beams again. Just as I was thinking OH NO whats this; hear loud clank, then see warning light break/abs failure service urgent. Stop when safe. Then dash goes black. Barely had time to read it. Thank goodness headlights worked so I could get home. Scared -no breaks. Yellow light came on after car was restarted in drive and then a warning about svs for driver airbag came on 2.
    Just hoping reservoir is low but that clank tells me no. Manual says restart car- wait to see if lights go off/check res. If they dont come back on your golden but if they do, get thee to a svs repairman and pay thru the nose pronto~
    Drove car less than 1k but of course warranty is up.
    Heard horror stories about xc90s & elec sys going crazy. Mechanic told me the problms are in 6Ts. Been going to him for 20yrs. Hope its not going to cost 5k, thats what I heard elec sys cost.

pg 25 in man says if warning lite comes on their is malfunc, but standard brake sys still works.
    p94 for details.