Default Class III Receiver help

I am trying to find a class III receiver for my '05. Everyone only stocks the class II. I know the class II is rated for what the vehicle will tow, But Every rack, And slide in hitch I own is a class III (2") receiver; I really don't want to use a reducer. It would only stick out further and make it sloppy. I have searched through some other posts, But haven't had any luck finding a supplier listed that carries the 2". Can I get one from Volvo?; If so would I be able to get a factory Volvo receiver from somewhere other than the dealership? Thanx

Default Drop a line with parts/breaker yards

Like Erievovo, or the like.
    See if they have any OEM's

Quote Originally Posted by stupidloose View Post
    I am trying to find a class III receiver for my '05. Everyone only stocks the class II. I know the class II is rated for what the vehicle will tow, But Every rack, And slide in hitch I own is a class III (2") receiver; I really don't want to use a reducer. It would only stick out further and make it sloppy. I have searched through some other posts, But haven't had any luck finding a supplier listed that carries the 2". Can I get one from Volvo?; If so would I be able to get a factory Volvo receiver from somewhere other than the dealership? Thanx

Volvo makes one and I have one on my 2003XC70.
    Get the Volvo Part # and make sure the hitch that you get is a Volvo OEM part.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

I had an OEM on my 2004 that was a 2", but there was a problem. It wasn't very deep. I couldn't put my expensive 2003 model Yakima Swing Away bike rack on because the OEM hitch wasn't deep enough to get the rack holes to line up. I know, I could have drilled more holes in the bike rack and made it work but it seemed as if it would have not been as solid in the receiver, even with a J-hook hitch lock. So we did the bikes on the roof. Total waste to get the OEM hitch put on to use that bike rack.
    With my 2008, I got a Drawtight class III 2" and it works perfectly and sticks out a lot less than the OEM ones.
    Something to think about if you are looking to use a hitch mount rack for toys. Might want to ops test it before installing it. Cheers!
    2008 XC70 Black/Sandstone
    previous:
    2004 XC70 Crystal Green/Brown trade in @79K

Quote Originally Posted by OKCXC70 View Post
    I had an OEM on my 2004 that was a 2", but there was a problem. It wasn't very deep. I couldn't put my expensive 2003 model Yakima Swing Away bike rack on because the OEM hitch wasn't deep enough to get the rack holes to line up.
    OKCXC70 -

I have the OEM receiver and I've been lusting after the Yakima 'Swing-daddy' rack. I'm not sure I understand the 'not deep enough' issue you've reported. Are you saying that the holes in the receiver was too far from the rear bumper and that you could not push the rack in far enough to get them lined up?
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Quote Originally Posted by skibo View Post
    OKCXC70 -

I have the OEM receiver and I've been lusting after the Yakima 'Swing-daddy' rack. I'm not sure I understand the 'not deep enough' issue you've reported. Are you saying that the holes in the receiver was too far from the rear bumper and that you could not push the rack in far enough to get them lined up?
    The Yakima Swing Away part that went into the receiver (the draw bar?) was too long for the receiver, the holes would not line up. I would have had to drill more holes closer to the tip of the Yakima draw bar to get holes to put the hitch lock through. However, that left a lot of weight "hanging" from the receiver and it didn't feel stable. On the Yakima, the articulating swing assembly to the right of the upright post is pretty heavy. At least it is on my 2003 model Swing Away. All I can tell you is to ops test it and the newer Yakima models may be a shorter draw bar that would work better and still be balanced in the receiver.
    2008 XC70 Black/Sandstone
    previous:
    2004 XC70 Crystal Green/Brown trade in @79K

Yes, I see now. I did a regular search, Instead of using the FAQ. Thanks, I am still learning how to use everything on the forum setup.