Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar problem: If I lock the car, no problem, if I leave the car unlocked in a relatively warm garage the battery is dead in as little as 3 days. Any ideas? Dealer looked at it and found no problem. 2011 xc

We just replaced our XC70 2004 with a XC70 2010 and twice now the battery, failed. The car was sitting for 3 days each time. Is this a problem with the battery or the car?
    XC 70 2004 - W/Winter & Summer tires

It could be a bad battery. You should get it tested.
    It may also be a parasitic draw on the battery, something pulling current when the car is off and there is not supposed to be a drain. Any after market items hooked into the cars electrical system?
    If you have warranty on the car still it may/should be covered.

Quote Originally Posted by wurthman View Post
    We just replaced our XC70 2004 with a XC70 2010 and twice now the battery, failed. The car was sitting for 3 days each time. Is this a problem with the battery or the car?
    Hi wurthman,

If I could suggest trying a little 'process of elimination'?

If you can leave the car for 3 days without using it, then disconnect the Positive Lead (Red) on the battery, then after the 3 days re-connect it and see if it works.
    If it does then the problem has got to be the car which is draining the battery over the 3 days.

If however it won't start the car then the battery is defective and needs to be replaced.

One other interesting comment that I saw on here was that if the car was locked using the key fob then when the car was to be used again the battery was OK.

So it would seem that when locking the car it shuts down any significant power drain on the battery, which some people might not consider if it is in the garage at home and doesn't get locked there!

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by XCovlov70 View Post
    Hi wurthman,

If I could suggest trying a little 'process of elimination'?

If you can leave the car for 3 days without using it, then disconnect the Positive Lead (Red) on the battery, then after the 3 days re-connect it and see if it works.
    If it does then the problem has got to be the car which is draining the battery over the 3 days.

If however it won't start the car then the battery is defective and needs to be replaced.

One other interesting comment that I saw on here was that if the car was locked using the key fob then when the car was to be used again the battery was OK.

So it would seem that when locking the car it shuts down any significant power drain on the battery, which some people might not consider if it is in the garage at home and doesn't get locked there!

Hope this helps.

@ XCovlov70

Thanks for the heads up, But just found out the XC70 2010 has a Canada USA 4 year 80K or 50miles full coverage warranty, So the car is on it way to the dealer for a new battery. But I will try your suggestions, Thanks

Thanks, ssicarman

My 2011 XC70 is now on it's third battery, since new, all done by the dealer. The low battery warning still comes on in less than a minute, if the engine is off, and the stereo is still on. A few times, the power is low enough that the tailgate won't lift unless the engine is started again ; looks like I need battery #4 ; they never pass a "load test". Dealer says it isn't a drain from the satellite radio, and can't find any other drain. The car sits quite a lot, and doesn't get a lot of long trips, however, I have an antique car that sits all winter, and a battery will last 8 years in it. Wondered if you have had any solutions since you posted a year ago ? I also wonder if the low-battery warning is overly sensitive, since I've always been able to crank the starter ( so far ). Also wonder if the replacement batteries are crap, and not heavy-duty enough for this car ? Any advice / solution would be appreciated.

If the dealer is saying that you don't have a draw then the likely cause of the battery issue is the amount of time the car is not driven. Then add in when it is driven it normally only gets short trips you should consider installing a trickle charger/battery tender to maintain the battery. Modern cars will have a small amount of draw on the battery with the car shut off just because of the number of modules that need something for keep alive memory. This should be around 2 milliamps.
    So a lot of time spent just sitting will pull the battery down which on your car doesn't seem to be an issue as the engine will start. However a start with a short trip and a restart to go home is not enough to completely recharge the battery so now the car sits again with a not fully charged battery. Continued cycles of this can kill a battery.
    A trickle charger will keep the battery fully charged for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    If the dealer is saying that you don't have a draw then the likely cause of the battery issue is the amount of time the car is not driven. Then add in when it is driven it normally only gets short trips you should consider installing a trickle charger/battery tender to maintain the battery. Modern cars will have a small amount of draw on the battery with the car shut off just because of the number of modules that need something for keep alive memory. This should be around 2 milliamps.
    So a lot of time spent just sitting will pull the battery down which on your car doesn't seem to be an issue as the engine will start. However a start with a short trip and a restart to go home is not enough to completely recharge the battery so now the car sits again with a not fully charged battery. Continued cycles of this can kill a battery.
    A trickle charger will keep the battery fully charged for you.
    I have 2008 XC70 and just replaced original battery. My car would stumble to start for 1 sec then crank. So decided not to take chance and replace a battery and it's not quite cheap as I was expecting, I paid 180 bucks for Deka, since normal cheap battery would not fit as too tall (about inch taller).

My 2009 battery dies after a few days if I don't confirm that I have locked all doors by seeing the yellow lights flash. If the lights don't flash, all doors except the back lock so all systems do not shut down. I have had to open and close the rear door and then press the lock on the key fob, and that usually allows the rear door to lock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast