Default XC90 tailgate won't open

I thought that this problem was due to the handle rod rusting ( a common XC90 fault). So removed the handle mechanism and sure enough the rod is rusted beyond recognition but that hasn't solved the problem.
    With the handle mechanism removed the release cable is now freed up but the latch is still inoperable and the tailgate will not open. I'm sure the microswitch is still working as I can hear it click on/off as I activate the locks.
    Does anyone know if the latch can be opened manually from inside the vehicle. It's a 2004 model

Thanks

Jim

Default Open tailgate from inside

You can open the tailgate from the inside by using the emergency release handle. Should be on the left hand side.

Push the red button in with your thumb, and then pull the level downward.

Default just an idea

Hi there, I can possibly shed some light on this for you, When I had an 04 xc90 in the UK i found that the rear handle for the boot/tailgate didn't spring back to its original position each time i used it, so i had to almost push the handle back before i squeeze it to open the upper opening. If that makes sense lol. I really hope this helps,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by krozett View Post
    You can open the tailgate from the inside by using the emergency release handle. Should be on the left hand side.

Push the red button in with your thumb, and then pull the level downward.
    I don't see an emergency release handle on mine...

Quote Originally Posted by black_angus View Post
    I thought that this problem was due to the handle rod rusting ( a common XC90 fault). So removed the handle mechanism and sure enough the rod is rusted beyond recognition but that hasn't solved the problem.
    With the handle mechanism removed the release cable is now freed up but the latch is still inoperable and the tailgate will not open. I'm sure the microswitch is still working as I can hear it click on/off as I activate the locks.
    Does anyone know if the latch can be opened manually from inside the vehicle. It's a 2004 model

Thanks

Jim
    I'd like to find the answer to that as well. It's such a pain in the boot