Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Feedback on winter vs. all seaon tires..

Ive heard these cars are great in the snow. I have since watched some YouTube videos that didn't impress me much concerning traction. I don't put a whole lot of stock in videos, But I am now weighing my options as keeping a set of wheels and tires for winter and a set for summer; Or going with an all season tire. Tell me what you guys are running, What kind of weather conditions and how you like them. I live in PA, Where we get a couple of good snow storms a year, And I have to get to work on those days. I appreciate any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by stupidloose View Post
    I live in PA, Where we get a couple of good snow storms a year, and I have to get to work on those days.
    Get a set of good winter tires hands down. There is no substitute.

No "all season" will ever be remotely good in proper snow and ice even less so after one season of use.

There is no question that winter snow tires are the best in snow. But for me the question is can I satisfactorily use an all season tire? I live in an area of the mountains that get lots of snow and find that my all season Toyo tires are just fine. I have never gotten stuck and routinely drive in snow deep enough that I can hear it rubbing on the floor of the car. My only worry is getting high centered. When snow is really deep I switch to the 4WD Suburban.

I think that the awd is what makes the all season tires acceptable. When I had a DL I always had a set of dedicated winter tires.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

My experience mirrors Wait's, right down to the DL
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Default Feedback on tires

Live in suburban Chicago and annually experience a good deal of snow here or over New Year's in northern Wisconsin. I use Nokian WR G2 XL's all year long. It is a winter rated, all season tire that always gotten me through the snow and safely home. Running 235/R60 16's that last 35-40K miles and cost around $160 shipped from Tire Factory.

Probably cheaper in the long run to have summer and winter tires but I'm too lazy and/or forgetful to change tires twice a year. Plus, I am always ready for that first snow and for the last snow....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ars Gladius View Post
    Get a set of good winter tires hands down. There is no substitute.

No "all season" will ever be remotely good in proper snow and ice even less so after one season of use.
    I agree. Not only will a winter tire be better than an all season, the same is true for a summer
    tire compared to an all season. Winter tires are also better if it rains during the winter.
    The cost isn't much higher, only the rims. I use simple steel rims and covers on the winter tires
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

I second Ozzie's recommendation. I use the Nokian WRG2 (235/60/16) on my '05 XC70 with stock wheels all year round with excellent results so far (2+yrs, 2 winters). Tire life is looking like it will be right around Ozzie's 35-40K as well. They perform great in snow and slush (I'm north of Boston and we got a lot of snow last couple of years, both dry and wet). On dry pavement they are also good. Overall, a better performing in winter than the stock Scorpian, and an equal on dry. Tread life is probably similar and I recommend them to all who ask. Not having to switch wheels twice a year is a bonus (I do myself for my other car).
    '05 XC70 (family truckster)
    '11 X3 xdrive35i (Daddy's daily)
    '05 Sienna XLE Limited AWD (the road tripper)

Quote Originally Posted by wgriswold View Post
    There is no question that winter snow tires are the best in snow. But for me the question is can I satisfactorily use an all season tire? I live in an area of the mountains that get lots of snow and find that my all season Toyo tires are just fine. I have never gotten stuck and routinely drive in snow deep enough that I can hear it rubbing on the floor of the car. My only worry is getting high centered. When snow is really deep I switch to the 4WD Suburban.

I think that the awd is what makes the all season tires acceptable. When I had a DL I always had a set of dedicated winter tires.
    I'll go with Ars' point - no All Season can ever take the place of winter tires...just because you didn't get stuck doesn't mean that the all-seasons provided adequate traction for braking or turning...it just means that you got lucky...

I have seen literally dozens of AWD cars and SUVs wreck in Vermont because they were running on all-season tires. The puzzled look on the flatlanders' faces said it all, "I have AWD...why didn't my car stop?" Uhh...well...because AWD makes it go...the brakes make it stop and you have tires that don't work in these conditions...I even gave one of them a ride after watching his AWD Subaru slide helplessly into the snow bank. As we drove up the steep icy road in my RWD Volvo, equipped with 4 Hakapelliitas, he said, "huh...I didn't know these old Volvos were AWD..."

To which I replied, "they aren't..." and in the silence that followed he looked even more puzzled...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Just as I thought; Seems to be 50/50 on winter vs. seasonal. Thanks for the input, It gives me an idea what works for you guys. I am going to weigh out my options and money situation. I will need to buy my new wheels w/tires, And and a whole other set of winter tires for my stock wheels. We'll see, Thanks...

For what its worh, Nokian lists the WRG2 in their Winter Tire area along with the Hakkapeliitta LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast