Default Coolant and Power Steering Issues

Since I bought the car a year ago I noticed a coolant smell when I turn on the heater but I after a couple seconds it goes away; thought nothing of it. Then a week ago I noticed a coolant leak. Didn't know where it was coming from but there was a small puddle on the driveway, but never inside the car. I lose about 12 ounces of fluid every two to three days. I always top it off when it gets below the line. So I finally take it in to a mechanic I don't know, thinking it might be the heater core but the mech says he can't find a leak anywhere. He thinks itis the lower hose, being that it's in pretty rough shape. Question 1: If I replace the hose myself (he wanted $90 + another $90 to flush the system) do I need to flush the system?
    Also, I just noticed a noise when I turn the wheels. Checked the PS fluid and it's a tad low. Mech says the steering rack is definately leaking, and that's $400 plus $400 labor. To his dismay, I politely declined. I'm thinking I'll just keep the fluid up to level until I can get the rack replaced. I'm also a little suspicious-after reading through some forums-that it might just be a loose hose or weak clamp or something. Question 2: Can I drive the car if the rack is leaking? Question 3: Any suggestions as where to look for possible causes of these leaks? Thanks for reading.

You probably do have a bad core (pull the carpet up in the center) but you need to check ALL the hoses, large and small, the plastic coolant tank (underneath it too, lower connection) and the radiator
    These are common to crack/leak in Volvos and need replacing every few years

As for your rack, it may possibly be leaking, but if you can try to clean it all off and drive it for a couple of days, you should be able to pinpoint the leak

Default What kind of fluid?

I read all the posts on PS fluid but I'm still unsure. Which fluid do I use? ATF like the manual says or Volvo brand or equivilant? I was hoping to go on a short road trip tomorrow and the volvo dealership is closed

Check the color of the fluid. If it's greenish, it's Pentosin fluid and that stuff is damn expensive. If it's red, then it's ATF. Whatever you do, don't mix the two fluids.
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Default Update

Thanks for all the info. Just an update; on the road at about 60 MPH, got a very bad vibration from the front right side. Put it up on a lift and saw that all hell broke loose. Now the right front drive axle is trashed and leaking, both sides struts and mounts are not junk but not too far from it, and the ball joints on the right side are trash as well. And apparently, I have to replace the whole control arm with the ball joints because it is all one assembly. There are a few other minor issues but for sake of brevity I'll leave them out. I've found a reputable mechanic who has worked with me very well to replace the steering rack and flush the PS system, replace the drive axle, the control arm, and replace the coolant resevoir + hoses all for a decent price. I'll be replacing the upper and lower hoses, and the struts and mounts myself. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks again.