Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWD Problem

Default AWD Problem

Hello I am new posting on this forum, but have been reading across forums for a while.
    I have a V70 AWD from 2006 - Haldex III - and have had a problem with the Anti Skid service light coming on sporadically and then regularly after a few miles.
    Often when the light comes on there is a little shudder or bang noticeable when going straight.
    When I corner on full or fairly full lock I can feel the car binding with a lot of vibration and then a bang and the tension in the drive train is released.

I have spoken to my local Volvo dealer who diagnosed the car and said DEM change please. I sent the DEM off for repairs and it came back with no fault found.
    I also changed the temperature and pressure sensor.
    I had the car on a ramp and there the AWD was working.

Now I have been reading about the Haldex and it said that the pressure in the clutch is released when the brake light or the hand brake light is triggered even way before the car is actually braking.
    I tried the handbrake carefully when I was on full lock and the vibrations started again and there was this bang again and the binding and tension gone immediately.

Has anyone had problems with their car binding on full lock and what was the problem?
    Is this pointing to a faulty pump or choke valve in the Haldex coupling?

Do you get any codes related to brakes? start with simple things, maybe your ebrakes are gone bad and stick so the haldex releases or maybe a bad sensor, also check the front sensor ring around the CV joints

Red face Haldex III service

Hi, what's your mileage? have you ever changed haldex oil and filter?
    Haldex service is not in V's programs but I plan to change oil & filter now when 110kkm are past to see the used oil quality for future service plans.

Don't know what else could be done to prevent problems.

Having had 2x850-94s changing the autotransmission oil has kept them going without problems.

br Tapsa

Since I had these problems I got a VIDA Dice. When I check the DTCs I regularly get a BCM-0095 and either a DEM-000B or DEM-0006.

The BCM-0095 suggests that there is a communication problem between BCM and DEM. There is a difference in wheel speed measured / indicated between front and rear axle. When I had the car on a ramp I was getting faults for wheel speed sensors for both rear wheels. BUT that was the only time ever that these DTCs came up. The rear wheel seemed to be going at different speeds to the front.
    VIDA says that the DEM should be faulty and has to be replaced.
    When I had the DEM checked it came back ok.

DEM-000B suggests that there is a problem with the oil pressure in the AOC.
    This could be caused by a faulty Temp/Pressure sensor - replaced alreday-, A DEM problem or a faulty AOC clutch.
    On the ramp I noticed a subtle whining / whistling from the prop shaft / AOC clutch area but could not locate it any closer.
    I also checked the actual AOC oil pressure read outs and they were with in normal parameters with the engine on and wheels spinning and also with ignition off.

I had DEM-0006 only once in connection with the wheel sensor faults. DEM-0006 suggests a faulty pump signal.

AOC pump and air filter change are next on the cards. I checked the oil and that is still nice and clear and the level was o.k.

My mileage is 47000.

The wheels rotate free when in the air. I do not think the brakes stick. There is no excessive heat from the hubs after driving.

When I changed the wheels from winter to summer I took the wheel sensors off to check them and put them back. They were fine. CV joints ok.

Are all your wheels of identical type and thread? Doesn't take much for it to choke up.
    Current Cars:
    1994 BMW 850 CiA (151k km) Diamond Schwartz. A chipped 5.0 liter V12 4-speed auto with every option imaginable.
    1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible Survivor (44k miles). A 7,7l, 472 cid, 3 ton monster doing 6 MPG.

Previous Cars:
    2004 XC70 2.5T (Died at 173k km) Saphire Black with black interior. RTI, manual seats and an automatic 5-speed.

"My wife has now officially banned me from any more automotive DIY." - jyanno

That was certainly true for viscous couplings, but I think Haldex is less critical in this respect.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

I think Haldex is not phased by different wheels any more.
    But all the wheels are the same and tyre wear about the same.

The haldex tolerance is 3/32 inches, or 2.38mm. Between that and 4% it might work fine, over 4% it will behave like Gazdoks car.
    Current Cars:
    1994 BMW 850 CiA (151k km) Diamond Schwartz. A chipped 5.0 liter V12 4-speed auto with every option imaginable.
    1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible Survivor (44k miles). A 7,7l, 472 cid, 3 ton monster doing 6 MPG.

Previous Cars:
    2004 XC70 2.5T (Died at 173k km) Saphire Black with black interior. RTI, manual seats and an automatic 5-speed.

Smile haldex tolerance in wheels

Hi Adrian,
    could you clarify 3/32 and 4% a bit more, what you measure here?
    Tapsa

Sorry, it's difference in the tire diameter.
    Current Cars:

Previous Cars:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast