Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 98 V70XC Right Rear Seat Back Latch Jammed in Up and Locked Position

Anyone have any hints on how to fix this? It seems jammed up tight, can't cycle the lock release button. Thinking some of the plastic (seems pretty flimsy) may have broken off in there somewhere. The left side seat back latch is also jammed in a will not engage mode.

Default Ever get an answer to this one?

I'm in the same boat. R Rear seat is up, but the latch won't engage. I'm sure it would be easy to troubleshoot if you could get to the latch...but that's difficult. I tried several tools, but couldn't figure how to unlock the latch. Asked the dealer, but my service guy wasn't aware of what the techs might do to get it. Guess I'll have them try next time I'm in.

Nope - no one ever posted a reply except you! Still stuck - has beeen a real PITA on several occasions when i needed the full amount of floor space in back. Now that I have replaced my ignition lock cylinder I will have to attack the seat latch.

You might want to look here. The last post may be a solution...

http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-8...ld-down-43252/

1999 V70XC Silver - IPD Sway Bars, IPD TCV, SNABB intake, Amsoil Dry EA nano-fibre panel filter
    2008 C30 T5 Cosmic White Manual - Fun fun fun
    1983 - Volvo DL wagon - RIP - Volvo saved my life.

Use snow tires.
    AWD + all season tires + snow = stuck in deepr $#&@

I'm joining the list of seat latch victims as well. I finally got it to release by jamming a screw driver in from the front right under the plastic push tab and pushing it against the metal lever of the latch. I haven't had time to look at it carefully but I'm thinking that the metal arm that I just mentioned gets bent and doesn't have enough room to disengage the lock. To get the plastic cover off the end of the seat, there are little plastic grommets that have centers that can be pushed out with a nail and then they pop right out. Unfortunately you will need to get new ones as the centers get lost inside the seat somewhere. This is one of my projects this week, I'll post what I discover in there.

Thanks for the tips guys, will check the seat out today.

Well, the latches are working again on both sides. I was able to take off the trim at the outboard corners of the seat around the latches. Under the trim is a spring loaded flat bar lever that is supposed to be engaged by the plastic handle that slides in the trim panel. On both sides, this was not happening. On the side that would not latch, the lever needed to be pushed to to reset the mechanism. On the stuck side, I was able to free it up by pushing the lever bar with a screwdriver to pop the latch free. For the time being, I am just leaving the trim off and will use the screwdriver technique to pop the latches when needed (not that often). The plastic trim panel anchor pins that came off will be eventually replaced with some screws after drilling out the remains of the pins on the seat side of their attachment points. I am going to leave the latch buttons out, they seemed all worn and were not properly engaging the metal levers.

I have always thought the plastic trim items in the interior on the 98XC were way below the quality and robustness of the rest of the car. Includes the brittle covers over the rear cargo net on the passenger seat back sections, the steering wheel tilt lock lever that broke off when I whacked it with my knee getting in the car once, and the seat back latch releases. Oh, and add the clips holding the trim panel to the cargo door.

I've never tried to replace the steering wheel tilt lock lever, looks like a real PITA to get at.

Wow -looks like I've been promoted to Senior Member..must be associated with hitting 100 posts!

Default Simple fix to release stuck offside rear seat (wagon)

Managed to manually trip the catch by slipping a screw driver under the plastic cover, between it and the seat and pushing the back of the lever while pulling the seat towards me. It is straight forward but only after I dismantled the near side (functioning) so I could see how the internals work. No damage to leather and can now access torx screws to remove side cover to fix/replace.

Need to jiggle the side cover to get it off, watch the plastic sliding thing under the seatbelt, it is meant to stay there when the cover comes away. Don't force it or you will crack it.

Photos added, with side cover removed. Last photo shows damaged plastic on the slider. Probably needs a new unit but I will try to jerry rig something

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 (Small).JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	4499 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3 (Small).JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	4500 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4 (Small).JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	4501
    Last edited by Paint_it_Black; 09-24-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Photos added
    1994 855 T5 2.3L Turbo
    2003 V70 XC 2.4L Turbo

Well they do the school run in double quick time!

I'm having the same problem. Are there any replacement parts available? I don't really want to put "new" flimsy plastic back on, but I don't like the look of having the plastic bits off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast