Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XC? 2.5T? or R? Opinions please.

I have an 02 with about 126k on it. It has been well cared for since new and in spite of the bad rep that the 02's get, it's been one of the more reliable vehicles I've had. Other than a door module replaced under warranty, it's not needed anything other than usual wear items that we are all aware of. At this point, it needs some work. The engine appears fine but will need the PCV system done soon. The tranny is fine, but the suspension/brakes will need a complete overhaul - bushings, stuts/shocks, springs, ball joints etc on all 4 corners.
    The only immediate need of replacement is a wheel bearing and the upper engine mount. The rest can be done of the next 10k.

I would probably do most of the work myself trading time for money. This is part of the issue as I don't have that much time this summer given other commitments and house projects going on.

I have considered trading/selling it and replacing it with a low mileage V70 2.5T or an R.

I've liked the XC, but lets face it, it's not the most exciting car on the road.

I really like the idea of the R, but it may not be all that practical. My concern about the R is that it has all this extra technology that will go bad and be expensive to replace. It does look good though and I like the interior.

The 2.5T might be a good compromise. I could put Pegs on it and tweak the engine to be close to the R, but it would never really look like an R though. I don't think I need the AWD (yeah, that is blasphemous coming from an XC owner in Wisconsin), so the FWD would be fine I think.

So what would you do? What are your opinions? What am I not thinking of?

1. Fix the 02 XC and keep it
    2. Replace it with a 2.5T
    3. Replace it with an R.

Oh, and I've looked at the 08+ XC's and aesthetically, they are just not my thing.

I'd share your concern about the fancy technology in the R. Struth, I'm even toying with the idea of selling my 01 XC and replacing it with a late 240 wagon: simpler for DIY maintenance. Clearly the good looks of an R don't mean much to me.

I think it's the usual trade-offs
    * known issues with the current XC - you seem to have a pretty good handle on those
    * what the XC is worth
    * what the R or 2.5T wil cost
    * unknown issues with the replacement car

And can you even find the ideal replacement? (In my case, good 240s don't come up often: people who have good 240s know how well off they are, and don't want to let them go. The ones that are for sale have been nearly destroyed by people who thought they were indestructible.)

I suppose I'm voting for you to keep the XC. If you want to make the XC more exciting, look what Ocean Racer has done: http://www.ipdusa.com/newsletters/93...-adam-peterson

BTW, I couldn't agree more on the 08+ looks. Bleah.
    Myzomela http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_Honeyeater
    1973 164 -> 1974 145+M41 -> 2001 V70XC & 1998 S40 2.0T+M56

I don't like the new ones either...ugly...

I love the looks and performance of the R, but it wasn't in the budget and I wonder about the maintenance on that complex a vehicle.

If you're looking for more excitement...try the T5 instead of the 2.5T. The T5 has a 247 HP HPT 2.3 Liter engine...17" wheels and bigger brakes, stiffer shocks and bushings and all come with the geartronic (or manual). An $800 software upgrade from IPD and the T5 is pushing 280 HP - as quick as an R but without all the complexity in the drivetrain or suspension...

What do you want from your Volvo? The T5 has been good to me, great handling, great brakes, good mileage (much better than the XC) and the ability to surprise BMWs...

But it won't be as unstoppable in the snow as an XC (still, I will take a FWD with 4 snows over an AWD without snows...because I can stop and corner...)...and the ride is much firmer.

If I had to pick just one of the two I own, I would pick the XC for its smoother ride and better traction...more versatile...but if I were picking just for fun? The T5 is fun...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by myzomela View Post
    Struth
    love it

I agree with Astro. Although I have the s60 t5 and not the v70, I can tell you the T5 engine is much more satisfying than the xc. I do with the T5 had awd though, cause it can break traction pretty easily In the rain, especially with a 5-speed.
    2001 V70XC (132K)
    1993 940 (247K)
    2002 S60 T5M (200K)

Having owned several of both I think I can tell you the difference.
    Driving an R is night and day compared to driving an XC
    However...
    The R does not "go over everything", it's low and you need to take care
    where you're going.
    You can't park with abandon or you will destroy the wheels
    The basic wagons are the same, the only major difference is the suspension

JRL brings up valid points on the very different driving styles. I wouldn't think twice going anywhere with the XC, but switching to a 2.5 or T5 has me driving with much more caution.

You're faced with a difficult choice. I have a 2004 V70 2.5, 1999 V70XC, and 1998 V70 T5. Depending on where I'm driving, the appropriate vehicle is chosen. If it comes down to owning a single car, I truly wouldn't be able to decide. But, my husband would choose the T5 hands down.

From the point of view of economics, barring a major disaster (motor or tranny failure) you will always be better to stick with the XC and continue to maintain it. The "frictional costs" alone (sales tax, probable increase in insurance premiums) are factors people usually don't take into account when moving from something like an XC, to an R or 2.5T model.

On the other hand, it sounds like you are ready for a change. If that is the case, then change... but keep in mind the comments made about the Rs. I sniffed around a couple but after spending some time lurking on their board I shut the idea down after reading too much about ground-clearance issues (people repairing front chin multiple times) and problems sorting out electronics issues.

Good luck with it.

I'm sure the R is more fun to drive if you want performance. I like the body molding and roof rails of the XC. 17" wheels make the car look much better and the ride is great. Keep the XC!!

Quote Originally Posted by atbspinner View Post
    I'm sure the R is more fun to drive if you want performance. I like the body molding and roof rails of the XC. 17" wheels make the car look much better and the ride is great. Keep the XC!!
    Why not make the XC perform like the R

Yes we can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast