Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Loud 'creaking' when turning the wheel...

My wife came home tonight after a 60 mile drive home from work... she pulled in the driveway and stopped. She proceeded to turn the steering wheel and the front driver side wheel (from what I could tell) was making a very noticeable creaking sound. She did state that sometimes the car makes a ticking noise when turning to the left on a sharp bend...

I am assuming a CV issue. However, the creaking while stopped and moving the wheel back and forth was confusing me.

Axel/CV replacements seems relatively affordable from IPD... How hard is it to install these... If I can do a brake job myself and other similar maintenance is this doable for the home mechanic? At this point I have advised her not to drive this on the highway until fixed...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've never had to replace the drivers side, but I did the passenger side in January, and it was relatively straightforward. There were some instructions in the resources section that were extremely helpful. I'm not sure if the driver's side is more complex or not, but I'd definitely say it's comparable to a brake job.

greemero thanks for the insight... I might be crazy but for the part only costing a buck twenty - I may just replace both sides to keep my peace of mind... the car has 150,000 miles on it.

UPDATE: I think this actually might be a shock issues... when I press down on the front end and rock the car up and down the creaking occours...

But the ticking while tunring is still concerning. Anyone want to chime in before I do a complete shocka and CV job? Thanks.

Isn't there a spring seat or something at the top of the spring that rotates? Could be shot.

CV won't creak with wheel turning while stopped. More like strut mount.

If this were my old Saab I'd be saying sway bar links. Considering that the links on the XC look identical to the ones on my Saab, that might be a good place to start. Disconnect one end of the link and wiggle it around, see if it feels rough or squeaky. Both wheels need to be jacked up (or hanging down) the same amount to take torsion off the sway bar.

Could also be a dry tie rod end.

Default Thanks

Skater and MacNoob,

Thanks for the advice as well. I have purchased the links as well as new tire rod ends. I even opted for a new seat for above the spring...

I was going to get new shocks as well... but I think I will hold off on that for the time being.

I will clear out a weekend to do all this - I know I'll need it.

Anyone live in Northeaster OH that wants to give a hand?

Thanks again.

I have noticed the same kind of creaking noise at full turn today, did you find out what was causing it?

If the creaking sound occurs turning the wheel while the car is stopped, then you probably have a good chance to find the noise source (one person turn, one listen for the source)

If you have steering stops on the lower control arm (LCA), see if that is the noise source at full turn. But it seems the XCs don't have steering stops on the LCA.

I had a spring seat + strut mount that didn't fit well. Result is a rubbing sound from time to time just steering away from center. FYI, Spring seat surface is rubber, strut mount mating surface is hard plastic. Imagine rubber rubbing against hard plastic sound

I also have a random clunk at tight turns especially going over a slight bump (like entering a drive way). Likely the strut mounts. Here is a post, see post number 2,4,10

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18356

Hope these points helps with your diagnoses.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

its a broken coil spring!!! can i change it with a used one on this side only?

While it may be acceptable for the dealer to change the coil spring on one side, I would not.

It's impossible to match the amount of "set" or sag that the spring has taken over the years.

I would only replace springs in pairs...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast