Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by slimwils View Post
    There's only one set of numbers matches Cheapo's
    The S/No 2248 I presume I need to find a replacement with this same #, anybody know what the numbers indicate?
    As best as I can figure the numbers indicate a part number (VCC P/No), a spare or replacement part number (Spare P/No), a software part number (S/No) and a part number for the CPU (YZK P/No).

When I replaced mine I was able to find one that had all four match. It was out of '02 V70. So same year and basic model as my '02 XC. I found some that had the same software number and/or YZK number but not the same part number. I'm thinking that if you find an exact match on the part number all the others will fall into place but that is speculation as I was not able to check very many either in person or on-line

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Update
    I bought a used cluster on ebay $129, took it to the dealers, two hours labour and its working fine.
    I wish I had gone this route from the get go!

All the symptoms in your DIM point to DIM problems save one - the trip meter; when you hold it for 5 seconds, and it goes "beep" and the original mileage shows up - you've just reset your maintenance reminder (which is set for 7,500 miles/12 months). That, at least, is normal...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (130K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (58K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (147K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (247K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (300K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (230K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

The DIM (Driver Information Module) is Volvo-speak for the instrument cluster. Here's how to remove it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZjlzcfzjPs&sns=em
    2003 XC70 with 345,000 km (214,370 mi)

I have a Volvo V70 that did all of the above. SRS lit, gauges go down, etc.

Bought a used cluster from local junkyard for $75 - numbers all matching.

Disconnected battery and waited 15 minutes.
    Pulled instrument cluster surround - video on youtube - took approx 1 minute.

Used TORX 25 to remove four screws.

Pulled cluster and disconnected plug.

Installed used one.

Reconnected everything - works fine.

Had local mechanic reset SRS - $50 for 2 minutes.

All told $125 and very little aggravation...

So whats the deal about getting mileage to be accurate. Does it just go to the mileage on your new DIM or does it keep the mileage from your car. I have a friend with similar issues but wants to keep his original mileage!

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

I had all the same symptoms of the dashboard going dark on my 04 XC70 (142,000 miles), I took it to the dealer who wasn't sure what was wrong and didn't want to arbitrarily replace the DIM but thought it might be that ($1400) I pulled the unit sent it to XeModex who "fixed it" I installed it and all was well for about a week. the dashboard went dead last night, and it seems to be related to my long 120 mile commute with the heater on as it only seems to occur after an hour on the road. I recently spent about $2000 on repairs and maintenance (suspensions bushings, timing belt, DIM rebuild) and now am thinking I might need to pay alot more to keep it on the road. the XeModex site has a ton of module rebuilds for my car and none of them are cheap (ABS, CEM, REM transmission, etc). if I am going to be spending thousands to keep this on the road and every few months its something else it might be time to bail on the 04. I am looking at a 2010 XC70 but sure don't want to go down the same road, once bitten twice shy, seems like they have some real reliability issues in the brand, my wifes 04 xc90 did the same thing at 90K miles so I traded it in on a new Honda CRV.

A couple of years ago (around 2011) my independent garage sent my DIM to someplace (somewhere in the NE U.S. or maybe Canada?) and had it repaired, complete with lifetime warranty. Total cost, including labor, about $600. Volvo dealer had quoted $1400. No problem at all with the DIM since then.
    Roy

I fixed it, I used a method similar to what I did when i had the exact same problem with my wife's 04' XC90

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-Honda-Accord-Crosstour-Color-White-Diamond-Pearl.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	4760

Make sure you get yourself a good code reader. Mine was doing EXACTLY that and it all pointed back to an overheating CEM. A $20 heatsink mod is all it takes to fix which I'll post a how-to later when I get a chance. Dealer/Indy thought it was a DIM...but the engine codes cept saying CEM fault.

And if you search CEM fault and the code, it points to an overheating CEM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast