Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Labdude View Post

After some investigation for two months, I have boiled it down to RA6 on the circuit board. Now I have to find the specification on that component.

Does anyone know where to get driver information module schematics?

I posted a picture of the component.
    just fixed one on an S60 with this info. seems perfect. Thank you.

Okay, some of this stuff sounds like it could be an indicator my 2003 XC70 is headed in the same direction -- ie. DIM problems. Over the past couple weeks, on occassion, when I start the car, the clock begins running wild (like I've twisted the clock set knob and held it). Grabbing the set knob and twisting it in reverse, starts the clock running backwards. It eventually stops on it's own and keeps time fine. Also, the trip meters can be reset (push in the reset knob), but in about 5 seconds, there is an audible "beep" and it goes back to the original milage. Usually the next time the car is started everything works fine. I haven't had the problems outlined in most all these notes -- dimming of the display, display going out, error messages in the information box, etc. Still sound like a DIM problem? If so, where is the DIM located so I can consider pulling it and following the fixes outlined here? Thanks in advance!

Rob

The DIM (Driver Information Module) is Volvo-speak for the instrument cluster. Here's how to remove it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZjlzcfzjPs&sns=em
    2003 XC70 with 345,000 km (214,370 mi)

All the symptoms in your DIM point to DIM problems save one - the trip meter; when you hold it for 5 seconds, and it goes "beep" and the original mileage shows up - you've just reset your maintenance reminder (which is set for 7,500 miles/12 months). That, at least, is normal...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (130K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (58K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (147K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (247K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (300K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (230K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRob View Post
    Okay, some of this stuff sounds like it could be an indicator my 2003 XC70 is headed in the same direction -- ie. DIM problems. Over the past couple weeks, on occassion, when I start the car, the clock begins running wild (like I've twisted the clock set knob and held it). Grabbing the set knob and twisting it in reverse, starts the clock running backwards. It eventually stops on it's own and keeps time fine. Also, the trip meters can be reset (push in the reset knob), but in about 5 seconds, there is an audible "beep" and it goes back to the original milage. Usually the next time the car is started everything works fine. I haven't had the problems outlined in most all these notes -- dimming of the display, display going out, error messages in the information box, etc. Still sound like a DIM problem? If so, where is the DIM located so I can consider pulling it and following the fixes outlined here? Thanks in advance!

Rob
    I have a 2003 with the exact same symptoms you describe - been happening for probably about 18 months. No other issues noted with the DIM other than inability to reset the trip odometers (I can reset them, but they just revert back to the mileage that was displayed pre-reset, so I have stopped resetting them; when that happens though there is an audible beep) and the "wildly running" clock (when it stops cycling wildly though it does not display the correct time). More recently I do hear the audible beep maybe every 5 to 20 mins and then sometimes not at all. All of the symptoms I can live with, so I haven't pulled the DIM yet for repair. When it first started happening, I had no clue what was happening, but the Volvo dealer said it was the DIM and quoted some astronomical price of like $1100 Dollars to replace it. However, via this forum I learned about a company called Xemodex who repairs them. If/when it does become a bigger issue, I'll pull it and send to Xemodex for repair.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Holy Crap! I was expecting the DIM was a module (like a little box under the dash or circuit board inserted into a slot or something), not the WHOLE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER! Thanks, Cheapo, for the link - really doesn't look that difficult (at least I won't have to pull the entire dash apart). Astro14: thanks for your reply - I learned about resetting the service reminder, which I didn't know about (actually, the trip meter exhibits the problem after I just press the reset for a second, not 5). Gary, hope it doesn't get worse, but I'll let you know how my experience goes (as soon as I get up the nerve to pop out the DIM).

I have a Volvo V70 that did all of the above. SRS lit, gauges go down, etc.

Bought a used cluster from local junkyard for $75 - numbers all matching.

Disconnected battery and waited 15 minutes.
    Pulled instrument cluster surround - video on youtube - took approx 1 minute.

Used TORX 25 to remove four screws.

Pulled cluster and disconnected plug.

Installed used one.

Reconnected everything - works fine.

Had local mechanic reset SRS - $50 for 2 minutes.

All told $125 and very little aggravation...

So whats the deal about getting mileage to be accurate. Does it just go to the mileage on your new DIM or does it keep the mileage from your car. I have a friend with similar issues but wants to keep his original mileage!

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

I had all the same symptoms of the dashboard going dark on my 04 XC70 (142,000 miles), I took it to the dealer who wasn't sure what was wrong and didn't want to arbitrarily replace the DIM but thought it might be that ($1400) I pulled the unit sent it to XeModex who "fixed it" I installed it and all was well for about a week. the dashboard went dead last night, and it seems to be related to my long 120 mile commute with the heater on as it only seems to occur after an hour on the road. I recently spent about $2000 on repairs and maintenance (suspensions bushings, timing belt, DIM rebuild) and now am thinking I might need to pay alot more to keep it on the road. the XeModex site has a ton of module rebuilds for my car and none of them are cheap (ABS, CEM, REM transmission, etc). if I am going to be spending thousands to keep this on the road and every few months its something else it might be time to bail on the 04. I am looking at a 2010 XC70 but sure don't want to go down the same road, once bitten twice shy, seems like they have some real reliability issues in the brand, my wifes 04 xc90 did the same thing at 90K miles so I traded it in on a new Honda CRV.

I fixed it, I used a method similar to what I did when i had the exact same problem with my wife's 04' XC90

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-Honda-Accord-Crosstour-Color-White-Diamond-Pearl.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	4760