Default 01 XC, Broken L/Front Coil @ 120k miles??

So, we start rolling down the driveway yesterday and apply the brakes a bit "ka-roong !?" scared the heck out of me. Pull out and across the street on level ground to explore? Push down on L/Fr fender and hear a spring type "squawk - boo-yo-yooing" coming from the wheel area.

Wonder how the heck and when did that happen? I drove the car last, backed it into the driveway as usual and don't recall hitting any "Pennsylvania" pot-holes? Then I remember hearing a small very insignificant "pop" when I backed up and the front wheels came up over the apron.

Anyway, the following pictures (only allowed 5/post = remainders next post) display what I found and where I left off. Then I went to FCP and ordered 2 each of the following: coil springs, strut assys, spring seats and 1 strut (top nut) tool.

You know how dangerous it can be buying parts . . . I noticed there's a "TAXRETURN" discount code on the FCP site that's good for 15% off . So, I decided to "continue" shopping I ended up getting: Cabin charcol filter, 2 - 1L Dot 4 brake fluid and a power brake bleeder. I've been wanting a brake bleeder for quiet some time and since there was that "15% off" starring me in the face . . . . So, I'll be having some fun this weekend.

I'm just glad this happened to me and "just" as we were beginning to roll out of the driveway versus the wife (primary driver = her car) shooting down the high-way @ 70 mph . . . . Yep, there's a silver lining to almost everything - sometimes you just have to look harder than others to find/see it.
    "01" XC70, Polar Blue Metallic, Oak Leather, no 3rd seat, wife's ride.
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

Default Remaining 2 snaps

Here's a few close-ups. I guess after 120k miles I can afford to change the front struts and springs. Especially since I changed the rear struts about 20k ago, they were fine but some wana-B at a "big chain" so-called alignment shop (NTB) told me the r/rear "shock" had to be replaced before he could align it - he was even kind enough to provide a quote and explain "it's recommended that both shocks are replaced, and we won't touch this car unless you replace both". DUH! I thanked him and asked him to kindly remove my car from the rack. I drove out and NEVER went back. I did however replace the rear struts since my wife "can" tend to "load-her-up" with mulch and top-soil etc. Kills me because I have a 3/4 ton truck!!!! Anyway, here ya go.
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

nothing new , volvo cheaped out on this for sure
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Maybe consider boots and bump stops, too? Mine were pretty worn when I got my struts out. I picked them up at O'Reilly Auto Parts.
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

Quote Originally Posted by JayPinNC View Post
    Maybe consider boots and bump stops, too? Mine were pretty worn when I got my struts out. I picked them up at O'Reilly Auto Parts.
    Too late. FCP is the bomb! I ordered Sunday evening and received everything at my work this morning

Got the left side done tonight after work. Not a bad job at all. Worst part was fumbling with those blasted screw type coil compressors and trying to figure out where to put them so they don't interfere with the strut base and top mount pad so you can get to the nuts to get them off. Took me 3 times of off and on to get it right. At least the next side will be easier - "should" be easier.

Right side done. Back on all fours and about a 40 mile run on it tonight. All is well. Alignment tomorrow or next day. Doesn't pull or wander, but alignment is necessary . . .

Not a bad job actually.