Default oil in coolant tank

I need some help figuring this one out, my car was running fine and no significant loss in power also no smoke coming out of the exhaust during normal operation, I noticed a coffee colored sludge in the coolant tank, the car never overheated but the coolant level did drop due to a leaking hose. I never got the coolant light and know that it works when i started flushing the system. I also noticed the spark plugs were normal and a quick peek at the top of the pistons shows a uniform color consistency. I dont have any noticeable discoloration on the oil when I drained it. I did remember going downhill for 3 miles and saw a puff of smoke when I got to the bottom of the hill. Any input?

Check your transmission fluid Best to drain the pan.

Default oil

check the oil cooler it is possibly leaking oil in the coolant....
    live your dreams

Had this happen on mine the rad was replaced and the tranny rebuilt , don't leave it to long .

Check your transmission fluid
    I know what you're thinking.....that would leave a Pepto Bismol like solution in the reservoir. Coffee colour is coolant and engine oil, or the coolant got topped up with a long life product like Dexcool.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Aloha everybody!

Thanks for all the replies. all the inputs are appreciated. the 99 v70 turbo has a separate oil cooler behind attached to the oil pan, I have attached a union between the hoses to bypass the cooler to see if oil comes out of there. I will let folks know the outcome and hope that someday it will keep somebody from putting a hole in their pocket.

Mahalo

bypassed the oil cooler and it's not the problem, I'm looking at pulling the head and was wondering if the turbo can cause this.

Thanks

links to any procedure for pulling the head would be appreciated

Really? Why would you suspect the cylinder head gasket without any sign of smoke or smell of antifreeze in the exhaust? Or at least get your engine oil tested for the presence of coolant. Taking the head off is hardly a simple procedure, here's a link to a guy that did it after bending his valves from a screwed up timing belt job, but it's hardly a step by step walk though, you'll need VADIS for that along with the special tools.

Default Volvo XC oil in coolant

brown soupy sludge in coolant:

my 98 had a slow leak in the coolant system and I found out that as I continue to add long life coolant it gets more sludgy because the water is escaping as vapor, leaving the concentrated coolant behind. That's what my car guy says, and he's going to replace the problem hoses and flush and fill with new fluid and hopefully no more leak.
    The leak will get worse if you ever let the coolant run too low that it creates a vapor lock, that can burst your hose or other parts with air pressure and cause an overheat situation that could be the death of your engine.

Always: add water/coolant as soon as your light pops, use synthetic oil like Mobil 1 in case you do have a overheat this can prevent thermo-viscosity break-down far longer than conventional oil, plus your engine will just work better longer if you do.

I'll post with follow-up when the car gets back