Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transmission fluid color

Okay, so I have a 2003 XC70 (obviously automatic). I have 2 different shops work on it, one close to work, one close to home. The current transmission fluid is red and the other shop says that it should be purple. Both shops say that use synthetic. I tried googling and also searching this site for my specific question but couldn't find anything.

I know there are some smart people on here who know if the car really takes red or purple but I can't seem to find the answer. I have about 1-2k miles on the car since the change and want to fix it quickly if purple is the right one. Can I get away with the red? BTW, the car has 118k miles.

Thank you,

Travis

Mobil ATF 3309 or Toyota Type T-IV is all I've been using. It's red.

Maybe there's a purple syn ATF that meets the 3309 specs, but I don't know.
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

Thank you for the quick response. I was comforted that I was in good company, until I saw your profile with a new tranny... Now I'm back to curious. Hopefully the two were unrelated.

Travis

You can only use a JWS-3309 fluid or you'll destroy the trans. I am not making this up...there are lots of shops out there that say "this stuff i sell is synthetic Poly-Alpha Olefin-based wonder fluid and way better than that dinosaur extract that you're using..." but what they're missing, and is missing from the fluid, is the friction modifiers that allow a slip-controlled transmission (the AW55-50SN...yours) to work.

If the fluid meets JWS-3309, it will say so on the Product Data Sheet or the bottle.

Fluids that I have used and I know meet JWS-3309:
    Toyota T-IV
    Volvo fluid
    Mobil 3309

All of them are RED.

Other fluids that state that they meet JWS-3309:

Mobil 1 ATF (new formula)
    Valvoline MaxLife
    Castrol Import Multi Vehicle
    AMSOIL Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid
    Royal Purple Max ATF

The first three of those are RED. Never opened any of the other 2...

The fluid in this trans should be red...

And the shop's ignorance of this transmissions requirements could cost you thousands in the future...and because they claim it should be purple, I don't trust them from the start. I've pulled and replaced 2 valve bodies on the AW55-50SN, and both my cars are still running on the original trannies...don't know if that is significant, but I am picky about using the right fluid, whether it's engine oil or brake fluid or trans fluid...

So, my advice would be not to agree to the purple gunk unless they can show you where it meets JWS-3309.

In fact, I would want to know what the first shop used...there are a lot of fluids that are red and DON'T meet JWS-3309...and a lot of shops are ignorant of this thing's special requirements...
    Last edited by Astro14; 02-25-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Default Castrol Color

Castrol Import Multi Vehicle is Red as well and I have seen no ill effects

Been using the Castrol IMV in my kid's Corolla for a couple of years...it's always said that it meets Toyota T-IV, but it's only recently that they added the JWS-3309 to the label. And you're right, works just fine...

My understanding is that the T-IV and JWS-3309 are in fact the same exact standard...since Toyota built this trans, that makes sense, but I can't find proof of that anywhere, so it remains an "understanding"...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Awesome! Thank you all for the replies. I will stop by the shop on Monday and have them show me the bottle.

I appreciate the quick help. Great forum!

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Hopkey View Post
    Thank you for the quick response. I was comforted that I was in good company, until I saw your profile with a new tranny... Now I'm back to curious. Hopefully the two were unrelated.

Travis
    I can only assume they were unrelated - I'm the second owner. Could have been the stop-neutral software that did the original transmission in.

Bottom line - use an ATF that meets the JWS-3309 standard.
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

Also- don't trust the shop to fill it correctly!!!!

If the shop tries to fill the transmission from any other place other than the dipstick tube- your transmission is ruined! Do like it was first stated on this forum by many other good owners- put a "Do not touch" on the bolt on the top of the transmission- many shops try to fill it through this, but this bolt holds a transmission band if it is removed- the transmission is toast!

Be careful with any shop that has never or has little experience with these cars- it may be far cheaper in the long run to get a set of ramps and do it yourself.
    *2005 Ice White XC70
    444K miles and...well...
    Driving the 08 V70 right now.

"Ah! There is nothing like the smell of burning British electrical components in the morning!"

Astro14,

The shop uses a "universal" fluid manufacutred by BG products in Kansas. It says it meets Totota T-IV specs, along with others...

Now I'm not sure. The shop looked at me like I was crazy. They are a Volvo only shop so I'm inclined to trust them.

I can post a picture of the box when I get to my computer.

Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast