Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2002 XC numerous electrical shutdowns - Help!

I have a 2002 XC

While driving almost all electrical systems deactivated. It remains that way.

Instrument cluster went dead, as did all door locks, all windows, the signal lights, highbeam lights, rear wiper, windshield washer fluid jets;

The car will start and run, the front wipers work, as does the radio and fans and low beam headlights, and hazard lights, and interior lights

The Check engine light is the only part of the instrument cluster that appears to work - it is lit up

As of this morning the alarm goes off when the car is started.

There is plenty of snow where I live

The instrument cluster was replaced with a used one about 6 months ago withhout incident.

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be would be much appreciated.

I replaced the

I certainly don't understand Volvo electrical systems, but here is what I would do. If the battery is three or more years old and you want to keep the car replace it. It is a simple thing, doesn't cost very much and is something that will have to be done at some point anyway. At the very least have it checked out if newer.

Very strange things happen in these cars with a marginal battery.

If that doesn't work I don't have a clue as to what might be wrong.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

I replaced the
    Continue...

Sounds like your battery (or connections thereto) may have taken a crap. Do you know how old it is, or when anything maintenance-wise was done to it? You guys have been getting some shet weather up there, and a good cold snap can seal its fate literally overnight.

While driving almost all electrical systems deactivated. It remains that way.
    Sounds like something may have gone tits up with the alternator. If the battery checks okay, I wonder if the alternator started to overcharge, or spiked, and popped a module or two.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Thanks for the suggestions so far

I will try the battery first. It is at least 5 years old. I must confess that I do not know where it is. I have the third row seats and can't imagine where they tucked it away.

The blown module scenario sounds pricey. I have been doing some internet reading on the central electrical module. Not encouraging.

The car is otherwise in good shape (it had a ton of work done while on extended warranty, now expired), so would like to keep it running.

Battery is in the back where the spare is. It will be under the 3rd row seat / foot area.
    Last edited by Ars Gladius; 02-05-2011 at 02:14 PM.

I installed a new battery. The alarm no longer activates when the car is started but all else remains the same.

All items you list as non-functional are low speed network modules.
    For so many to be down is a sign of the communication wiring having a problem. The pair of wires that links those modules could be shorted to ground or it could be a module that has failed and it is stopping any signals between the others.
    The problem needs the attention of a knowledgeable mechanic with experience in the Volvo networked electrical system.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002xcgold View Post
    I installed a new battery. The alarm no longer activates when the car is started but all else remains the same.

Just as a wild-arse possibility, try pulling the fuse for the alarm and see if that has any effect. You are getting close to the age that the backup battery in the alarm module goes requiring replacement of the whole module (another brillant Volvo idea) and the failure of that module goes cause some weird stuff. But with that said, it also sounds like your DIM is gone. Did you replace your original with one where all the numbers match up, etc? Of course, it is possible you just had bum luck with the used one. Anyway, try easy first and then go towards the pain of a VIDA enema.

God luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I replaced the whole instrument cluster with one form a US car. It worked fine (done over 6 months ago) and translated the KMs on the odometer into miles accurately.

The numbers did not match up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002xcgold View Post
    I replaced the whole instrument cluster with one form a US car. It worked fine (done over 6 months ago) and translated the KMs on the odometer into miles accurately.

The numbers did not match up.
    Hmmm, that's interesting. I'd still just try pulling the alarm module out of the mix by pulling the fuse. Only reason I suggest that is the fact that you had the alarm going off before you replaced your battery. All the other symptoms point more to a bad DIM but with everything else,who knows. Maybe you just need a reset of all the systems via VIDA. I'm interested in what you find out as I have had shifting quality issue ever since my DIM blew and am on the verge of taking it in and having the software reloaded to see if that will sort it since everything was working fine before.

Good luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast