Default Possible new purchase 1999 XC

I have been in the market for an older Volvo for a while now. I usually buy 10 year old + luxury makes. They give me something to tinker with. I started with a 96 Lexus that I took up to 160k miles until I ran over 50 feet of bailing wire at night on the interstate and totaled it out. I bought a 98 BMW 540i and have enjoyed it so far. I put new pads, rotors, shocks and struts on it as well as doing normal maintenance. I have a fairly well equipped shop.

Today I looked at a 99 V70 XC. Black with black interior, no rips, bad stains or tears. Mechanically, it looks as if it needs some care. The guy that owns it has a 120 mile a day commute and the car has 167k miles. It has been taken care of by an independent guy that I trust, although IMO the guy is almost too honest in that he often tells folks to just live with some problems. Likewise, the PO is known as an honest person, but I got the feeling he was not really into cars.

There were some small things wrong, not a lot that would be over my head. The one thing that did worry me was a clunking coming out of the driver side wheel well (the struts are shot) and very "floaty" steering. Would the steering be the rack or is it possible it would just be cheaper components? In my past experience POs often don't notice when their steering and suspension components start to fail so I usually count on this as deferred maintenance as I like mine tight, even if the car is old.

Price is 2950. I have offered him 2600. The car has no rust as it has been in the mid-south its whole life. I can spend another 3000 on it without breaking a sweat.

Appreciate your thoughts, comments.

If it needs struts AND probable spring seats you will get a floating feel
    Rebuild the ENTIRE front end, struts, spring seats, strut plates, inner and outer tie rods and the control arms.
    Have the rack looked at first. They can be bad, but if not, what I said will give it a "new front end" and a good feel
    Also check all motor mounts.

Ck the floorboards (pull up carpet) for any heater core leaks, (and smells when you turn it on) Check if the AC works, (most need new evaporators, a BIG 10 hour, very nasty job), check all the window switches and seat switches work and so forth.

Check the tranny fluid, check for any clunks or vibrations while driving. The AWD parts are due to be replaced at those miles (unless they have been)
    You will probably spend more than 3K and it's probably not the best of deals
    $1500 is better TOPS

Right on JRL and I might also add the infamous ETM (Electronic Throttle Module) issue that haunts the post 98 models (I believe 99-02). My understanding is that Volvo recalled them but they seem to have really picky restrictions and exclusions regarding if/when they will replace them. They can be rebuilt for $600 but meanwhile you probably had to get towed from wherever it quit. Check and see if this part has been replaced. (A VIN check likely will work through any Volvo dealer.)

Thanks guys, just what I was looking for.

I already figured in the cost of a "new" front end. I was just trying to figure if the floaty feeling was that or the rack and pinion on top of that.

The AC works well. No signs of heater core leaks (here in the Memphis area we rarely use the heater, AC is much more important.). I am getting the VIN to check on recall compliance. The car did have a Volvo timing belt sticker at 120k, so I'm thinking it saw some dealer service in the not to distant past.

As far as $1500, you guys must be from up north. You just don't find anything at that price point down here. Good 740s go for $2000 and are snapped up (that is where I started looking actually, but finding someone who will sell a 740 wagon for reasonable money is tough).

This is kind of the problem with buying cheap cars, you take a real chance of losing $3000 or getting into the parts business. Fortunately, I could sell the seats in this car for $800. A few other odds, ends and wheels and tires and I would not be taking that great a risk. Still, it would suck to buy something that I put another $1500 in and immediately broke.

The upside is I haven't had a car note in 4 years and insurance with a 16 year old son doesn't break me.