Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Default The Flamenco Red has finally arrived!

Finally got the call from the dealer telling us our new XC70 D5 SE LUX (205) could be collected, so off we went!

Great drive back from the dealer and woke up this morning to a real 'Jack Frost' day!

Then got the 'New Baby' out of the garage!

I think you should take the car back to the dealer as soon as possible.

It's looks like they installed the steering wheel on the wrong side.

Andres

Seriously though, great looking XC!
    Congrats

Now if we could just get the D5 engine in the States :-!

Quote Originally Posted by acools View Post
    I think you should take the car back to the dealer as soon as possible.

It's looks like they installed the steering wheel on the wrong side.

Andres

Seriously though, great looking XC!
    Congrats

Now if we could just get the D5 engine in the States :-!
    Thanks for the compliment, now maybe if I had taken the picture upside down the steering wheel might have come out on the right side!

Must admit that I didn't think you guys across the pond thought a lot about 'Oil Burners' as there doesn't seem to be that many filling stations?

I just hope it lives up to our expectations and at least matches the previous XC70 when we go off on our 80 Day tour of Europe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by XCovlov70 View Post
    Must admit that I didn't think you guys across the pond thought a lot about 'Oil Burners' as there doesn't seem to be that many filling stations?
    The average American remembers the VW Rabbit's/MB 220 and such from the end of the 70's and the early 80's that were stinky, slow and noisy first generation passenger diesels and would never consider buying another diesel.

However those of us that travel internationally have rented modern TDI engines (with the steering wheel on the on the wrong or the 'right' side, of course) and love the mileage, great low end torque and in many EU countries the price difference.

There is in fact a number of threads on Swedespeed hoping for a D5 engine or whether an engine transplant would work. We also noted the Stefan Jacoby spoke of expanding the diesel range in EU and considering whether to bring it to the US. Given his background and experience with VW and the Jetta TDI's we can only be hopeful.

Best of luck with your 80-day tour, and as you came from a P2 Volvo, please share your thoughts and impressions.

Andres

Rest assured that my thoughts and impressions will most certainly be fed back to the guys that interface with this Forum.

I will actually kick it off now by saying having got 'The Red Beast' home I managed to spend a couple of hours trying to understand a few 'puzzles' presented by the Volvo supplied 'Owner's Manual' and what a Nightmare that has been!

1) The 2011 model D5 is fitted with an 'Electronic Dipstick' and after reading the relevant pages as one page points you to the other, it would appear that the facility is missing, as following the instructions to the letter I cannot find out how much engine oil is in the sump!

In short: Using the Thumbwheel on the Indicator Stalk you are supposed to turn the wheel while the engine is switched off to establish how much oil is in the sump, except SHOCK - HORROR you don't see a dam thing, no message no picture nothing!

2) There is a very poor picture that is supposed to show you how to change the Xenon Headlights from R/H Drive to L/H Drive.

I was hoping from our previous XC70 that I would not have to remove the headlight from the body to facilitate this by Volvo making an improvement to allow this to happen, well that was a BIG mistake as investigation has now shown me that you still have to completely remove the headlight from the body, including disconnecting the multi pin plug to get at the rear cover, remove that and then put your finger inside the lamp to switch the beam alignment arm over, then re-assemble the lamp and put it back into the bodywork finally fitting the 'Tent Pegs' into the slots that hold it in place!

3) Considering that 3 YEARS ago a Volvo Technician in Sweden altered a line of programming code that stopped you being able to get 'Radio Text' I was not well pleased that the documentation namely the Owner's Manual still refers to 'Radio Text' and it's availability from some radio stations!

Considering the feature was 'selectable' by the driver from the Audio Menu on the Radio and the excuse from Volvo that it was stopped due to safety concerns with the documentation still refering to it for me it sucks as it was a feature that at times we found useful.

Summary
    I have as a result of the 'problems' dropped an e-mail to the Dealer and Volvo UK Customer Service. Even though I feel sure the oil is OK, a new engine is quite liable to 'burn off' some oil in settling down but at the moment being able to check that is in the lap of the Gods and Thor is not well pleased!

Update will be posted as soon as some answers and actions are received, trust me.

Many years ago I stared with a Volvo 144S which was a really GREAT car, especially when I got 'slammed' from behind, the engine broke it's mountings, was moved forward by 1.5inches & the rear wheel arch seams split!
    However the car still made it back to where I lived which was another 50 miles and never missed a beat, but thankfully the engine fan missed the radiator!

I also hope to do a blog about the trip in Europe, all I can say is watch the Forum.

Ps. If you see steam rising from South Wales in the UK over the next 48hours then you will know I am in conversation with either the Dealer or Customer Service, but if it's rising very quickly then it will more than likely be both of them and progress is......... S L O W

Sir,

To your first point, I had heard that the models from 2010 on had the electronic dipstick.

I questioned the efficacy of that as well. How does one refill the oil? How does one check the oil if the battery/ECU is dead or functioning improperly?

Hopefully Volvo has a proper answer or solution. And always having Volvo change the oil or requiring a Volvo pump to performs this work is not the right answer.

As far as the ABL bi-xenons go (which I saw you had), it used to be that you could depress the ABL button (button with the light icon and the arrows going both ways) and hold the button for 5 seconds to activate a 'tourist' function. Is this no longer active on your vehicle?

It is great to see the care and passion people have on both sides of the pond for the brand that is Volvo. Volvo itself is undergoing a transformation wherein the recognize they need to change and listen more closely to their customer's needs. The only question is whether this is lip service for the press or a true effort? Time will tell.

Best,

Andres

Quote Originally Posted by acools View Post
    Sir,

To your first point, I had heard that the models from 2010 on had the electronic dipstick.

I questioned the efficacy of that as well. How does one refill the oil? How does one check the oil if the battery/ECU is dead or functioning improperly?

Hopefully Volvo has a proper answer or solution. And always having Volvo change the oil or requiring a Volvo pump to performs this work is not the right answer.

As far as the ABL bi-xenons go (which I saw you had), it used to be that you could depress the ABL button (button with the light icon and the arrows going both ways) and hold the button for 5 seconds to activate a 'tourist' function. Is this no longer active on your vehicle?

It is great to see the care and passion people have on both sides of the pond for the brand that is Volvo. Volvo itself is undergoing a transformation wherein the recognize they need to change and listen more closely to their customer's needs. The only question is whether this is lip service for the press or a true effort? Time will tell.

Best,

Andres
    Hi Andres!

Well, as Volvo 'stole' the Dipstick and made checking the engine oil level more complicated, having just been into the garage and checked this one, they have also 'stolen' the ABL Button from off the centre console!
    So now you have full time Bendy Lights! and only the Manual change over facility.

I must admit that I never knew about using the ABL Button for swapping over, but there was nothing about being able to use that in the previous Owner's Manual, unless it was a feature for the US Market, while us 'Brits' had to get out of the car and 'fix-it' manually!

Regards
    Ian

Congratulations on the "new baby".

Absolutely gorgeous. Looking forward to your next driving trip.

Quote Originally Posted by mrslomo View Post
    Congratulations on the "new baby".

Absolutely gorgeous. Looking forward to your next driving trip.
    Thank you!

We are 'chuffed'
    (You might need the Oxford English Dictionary to look that up, but I think it means that we are really pleased with it so far!)

To be honest even though we have only done 150 Miles so far it feels more comfortable than the previous XC70, as I think there is more support in the seats.

One thing I found fascinating however is that you can have the Electric Seat Heating turned on as well as the Seat Cooling system!

The Heating works on the centre square and the Cooling works around the sides.

So my wicked Northern Humour asked the Dealer if it was possible to get Honey Roasted Nuts with a Side Salad for lunch after a 4 hour drive!

He looked at me like I had just stepped out of a spaceship!
    For the life of me I cannot understand why?

But the lady on Reception loved it!

Underhood pic please if you get a chance.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast