Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default $$$$check engine light$$$$

OK got the dreaded CEL. Had the codes read and came up with P0422, P0234, P0236. Tried the Dorman fouler deal without success. I was wondering, if the cat was actually starting to clog, would it cause the other codes? (low turbo boost, restricted MAP hose, faulty MAP sensor??

CELs are not dreaded, they are a fact of life with Volvos
    (and happen frequently)

Default Dreaded

Well, I've put 100k on my '99 XC without any CEL comming on in that time. Of course I keep it maintained properly. I just get kind of disgusted when it goes beyond the usual and expected repair, and you have to take it to a dealer. It's a kind of extortion.....and the labor rate is larceny.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho View Post
    Well, I've put 100k on my '99 XC without any CEL comming on in that time. Of course I keep it maintained properly. I just get kind of disgusted when it goes beyond the usual and expected repair, and you have to take it to a dealer. It's a kind of extortion.....and the labor rate is larceny.
    my local volvo dealer wanted:

a) $46 to give me a list of codes
    b) $99.50 for full diagnostics, meaning to make sense of the volvo (not just generic OBD2) codes
    (00 v70XC LPT at -- 19X kmiles)
    (01 V70 T5M -- 15X kmiles)
    (03 V70 2.4i at -- 18X kmiles)

Buy a code reader.
    One-two trips (not going) to your dealer will pay for it

Default Generic code reader

The generic code readers are a waste of money. It's like saying "yup the roof is leaking somewhere". Could be this or that or 10 other things...... 12 different options. I don't want to replace parts just for the sake of replacing parts, I actually want to make a proper repair.

Generic code readers are just fine, because then you come on here and figure out the meaning in-depth. I have nice compact Actron scanner that simply tells me what the code is and what it "thinks" the meaning is. I just ignore it and pop in a search on the various Volvo forums!
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Buy a code reader.
    One-two trips (not going) to your dealer will pay for it
    what coder reader would you suggest?
    basic obd2?
    or volvo specific?
    (00 v70XC LPT at -- 19X kmiles)
    (01 V70 T5M -- 15X kmiles)
    (03 V70 2.4i at -- 18X kmiles)

Volvo specific will cost you thousands...

Seriously, just buy one of these guys: http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9410-...4442635&sr=8-1

When you get a code, search or post here and you'll get more info than you ever wanted.
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

I have been getting infrequent random OBD II CELs from code P0410 (Secondary Air System) on my 98 XC 70. I have reset them with an Actron reader. I just had to get the car emissions tested. Suspecting that my SAS blower was on its way out, I thought it might not pass, but since it had been many drive cycles since the last thrown code, I decided to put off doing anything until I got the results of the test. To my surprise, it passed, although it did return a "Not Ready" status for the Secondary Air System criteria on the report. The SAS is one of the several subsystems specifically reported on in the test results form. Is the SAS not considered a critical system for pass/fail?
    Last edited by StoningtonXC70; 10-22-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: correct typos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast