Default thinking of getting 03-04 xv70..need advice

Hi guys how are you? this is my first post in this forum
    I am not new to volvo's..i've owned a 95 850 wagon and now have a 2006 v70 2.5t fwd. My wifes lease on her passat wagon is gonna be coming to term and we've started looking around for another wagon. I'd like to stay within the volvo family. there are two cars that we might go check out..
    one is a 2003 v70 2.5t awd and the other a 2004 xc70 2.5t awd.
    the xc70 is a little over our budget but looks to be iin good shape(via pics).
    how do these two cars compare? is it just a question of ride height (xc70 higher)? in terms of mechanics (repairs) are they both the same? are they much more expensive then a FWD model? we can consider a FWD model but it would be good to have an awd between both our cars.
    one point of concern for my wife...she finds the steering a bit tough on my car..my only gripe with my car is the turning radius which is horrible...is it better on these older models?
    what are some things to look out for for the awd systems? are they reliable?
    thanks
    fabs

03 & 04 are virtually identical. Same updated drivetrain w/haldex and 2.5T. Interior may be ever so slightly different. The "oh sh!t" passenger grab bar for example between the seats is real aluminum vs. painted plastic alum. look.

Pick the one you most like!

Fab - if winter in Montreal is what I remember it to be, the XC70 is a much wiser purchase. While the FWD is fine for most climates, Canada is really an AWD country. Don't you often wish your V70 is AWD?

To answer your questions individually...
    1. How do these two cars compare?
    AWD is the big difference, and yes, the ride height is almost 6" higher. The XC70 will burn more in gas, but it's average for a large vehicle (excellent if you consider the XC70 weighs in at 4200lbs).

2. In terms of mechanics (repairs) are they both the same?
    Yes.

3. Are they much more expensive then a FWD model?
    No, unless you consider the 100,000km fluid swaps from your Angle Gear and rear differential. Everything else should be the same.

4. Is the turning radius better on these older models?
    Same as your current V70.

5. What are some things to look out for for the awd systems? are they reliable?
    To look out for specific to the XC70? Leaking/weeping angle gear.
    To look out for specific to Volvos? Upper engine mount, lower transmission mount, upper strut-bar bushings, suspension end links (Front/Rear), cracked control arm bushings, power steering resoivor weeking/leaking, emergency brakes, coil springs rusting?
    Service items it'll need to be checked:
    a. Timing belt been changed recently (it's probably due),?
    b. Transmission fluid and brake flushed recently?
    c. Is it leaking oil around the turbo?
    d. Is it throwing any codes?
    e. Pull up the fuel economy from the dash message centre. Is it reasonable? (I.e. the car isn't showing +13l/100km)
    f. When was the last coolant change done?
    g. What % are the brakes? Does the emergency brake work well?
    h. Are the coil springs rusting? (It's a big issue in areas where a lot of salt is used in the winter, like Montreal)

That's all I can think of...
    Last edited by Forkster; 09-14-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Ed,
    I believe both cars he's looking at are AWD.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post

AWD is the big difference, and yes, the ride height is almost 6" higher. The XC70 will burn more in gas, but it's average for a large vehicle (excellent if you consider the XC70 weighs in at 4200lbs).

P2 XCs weigh about 3800 lbs. the NEW (08-11) is 4200 lbs

2. In terms of mechanics (repairs) are they both the same?
    Yes.
    No, XC has the potential of some AWD (Haldex) issues

3. Are they much more expensive then a FWD model?
    No, unless you consider the 100,000km fluid swaps from your Angle Gear and rear differential. Everything else should be the same.

YES, an XC costs $2000 to $3000 (US) more than a comparatively equipped 2.5T FWD and 4-$5000 over a NON turbo FWD 2.4. He asked about purchase cost, (if I read this correctly) not maintenance costs

4. Is the turning radius better on these older models?
    Same as your current V70.

NO, a bit larger

Oh and 2003 was a VERY short model year, not many around to buy, look for an 04

Hi everyone thanks for the replies...
    JRL...i wasn't refering to purchase cost..i mean in repair costs.
    the two cars iam considering is a 2003 v70 awd with 188 000km on the clock and it's withing our budget...the other is a 2004 xc70 with 120 000km and it's a bit over budget...
    what are the haldex issues to look out for?
    what i'm wondering is, between the two awd cars and my current 2006 fwd car...is the turning radius better on the awd models then my fwd? my wife has a hard time manouvering my 2006 and i find it a bit tricky at times....if you say that it should be better, then we're good to go!
    thanks
    fabs

the turning radius will be the same or ever so slightly worse.
    2003 XC70
    BFG Mud Terrains
    IPD Aluminum Skid plate
    Curt Hitch
    Yakima Basket W/ Spare Tire Mount
    Poly Upper and Lower Motor mounts
    IPD Gauge Rings
    ETC ...........

hi guys...actually i test drove an xc70 today....i really liked the drive and the fact that i was a little higher..but not like in an suv.
    I checked out the turning radius and it was really good..i asked the salesman about it and said that with 16" tires, you don't need the rubber turn stops and so you can turn it a little more...on my 2006 i have 17" tires with the stops and that's why i can't turn as much,.,
    fabs

Quote Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
    hi guys...actually i test drove an xc70 today....i really liked the drive and the fact that i was a little higher..but not like in an suv.
    I checked out the turning radius and it was really good..i asked the salesman about it and said that with 16" tires, you don't need the rubber turn stops and so you can turn it a little more...on my 2006 i have 17" tires with the stops and that's why i can't turn as much,.,
    fabs
    Hmmm. I find that the turning radius of my XC is not as good as the 850R or the V70 (Gen 1) that I had. I don't think it's even as good as the Range Rover LWB that I had. If I have one complaint in regard to the XC handling it would be its turning radius.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff