Default Spring or clicking sound from drivers side

I have a 2001 XC70. There is a springy or clicking type sound coming from the drivers side which I believe to be coming from the area of the rear tire. When I drive over a passenger side bump there is no noise. Drivers side bump is no noise for front wheel but noise for when the rear wheel goes over it.

I can not hear the noise with windows up but is loud when they are down.

It does not sound link the front endlink clunk. I've been through those and this sound is much different.

The noise has been present for quite some time with no changes. It is not grinding.

I have changed the rear swaybar and it's links along with the shocks and it is still present. I didn't change them for the noise, mainly for the performance but was hoping the noise would go away.

I have read on the forum the e-brake could be the source and attempted to test by pulling the handle and driving bumps and the noise remains. I do not use the e-brake and have not adjusted in who knows how long.

I did have new brackets welded to the muffler pipe about a year ago when I noticed they had rusted away. The muffler may be slightly misaligned but still held in place by all the rubber attachments. When I shake or attempt to make it bounce there is no noise. Originally thought this was culprit when first heard noise.

In the front I've replaced the struts and everything attached except the spring, control arms, and ball joints in addition a new sway bar and endlinks. Noise present before and after replacement.

Has anyone had a similar noise and been able to figure it out?

Quote Originally Posted by sschultze View Post
    I have a 2001 XC70. There is a springy or clicking type sound coming from the drivers side which I believe to be coming from the area of the rear tire. When I drive over a passenger side bump there is no noise. Drivers side bump is no noise for front wheel but noise for when the rear wheel goes over it.

I can not hear the noise with windows up but is loud when they are down.

It does not sound link the front endlink clunk. I've been through those and this sound is much different.

The noise has been present for quite some time with no changes. It is not grinding.

I have changed the rear swaybar and it's links along with the shocks and it is still present. I didn't change them for the noise, mainly for the performance but was hoping the noise would go away.

I have read on the forum the e-brake could be the source and attempted to test by pulling the handle and driving bumps and the noise remains. I do not use the e-brake and have not adjusted in who knows how long.

I did have new brackets welded to the muffler pipe about a year ago when I noticed they had rusted away. The muffler may be slightly misaligned but still held in place by all the rubber attachments. When I shake or attempt to make it bounce there is no noise. Originally thought this was culprit when first heard noise.

In the front I've replaced the struts and everything attached except the spring, control arms, and ball joints in addition a new sway bar and endlinks. Noise present before and after replacement.

Has anyone had a similar noise and been able to figure it out?
    I can't tell if you have replaced the rear sway bar end-links. They can make noise the same as the front ones and I would also suggest that you check the rear brake caliper on that side and make sure that the pad retention spring is still there and located correctly. I've had situations where a loose pad has clicked over bumps.

Good Luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Bill,
    thanks. I have replaced the rear sway bar endlinks.

I will check the brake pads. Any links to a good drawing for verification?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sschultze View Post
    Bill,
    thanks. I have replaced the rear sway bar endlinks.

I will check the brake pads. Any links to a good drawing for verification?

Steve
    The rear pads are fitted the same as the fronts as far as anti-rattle spring placement. There is a picture on this forum that was posted fairly recently, but damn if I can fine it now. Basically, the spring is placed behind the ears on the caliper if that makes any sense. Take a look at your fronts and do it the same way, I guess.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Once I removed the wheels and compared all springs and calipers looked the same. The spring for the rear driver side looked like it was slightly bent when being taken off or put on in the past, but not much.

I then hit the caliper with me hand and could here slight noise, none came from the other three wheels. I then determined I was able to get the outer pad to move a light amount and no others moved at all.

I checked the torque on the caliper pins and had no movement.

After putting the wheels back on I decided to test the noise by applying the brakes will driving over the bumps. Brakes in use eliminated the noise, no brakes and the noise returned.

My C30 goes to dealer tomorrow for 7500 mile service and I'll buy a new spring to install and see if it stops the noise.

New spring = No noise.

Thanks.