Default '99 V70XC Cooling issue

A few days ago my '99 V70XC started having some temperature issues. It started with the fan running after the car was turned off, something I never noticed before. I didn't think too much of it. A couple of days later, the coolant level light came on, sure enough, coolant was low. I didn't see any obvious signs of leaking, no puddles under the car or soaked hoses. The temperature gauge didn't seem to indicate that the engine was running "real" hot. It was at about 3 o"clock. I topped up the coolant.

Next day again, coolant level light on and coolant low. After inspecting further, the radiator seems wet under the top hose. Nothing spewing out, just wet. The top hose is dry as can be. So obviously I think I'm looking at replacing the radiator at a minimum, I think?

The other problem that arose yesterday, was having a tough time getting the engine to turn over. It would just crank and never fire. after about the third crank, it would eventually sputter and then run. I'm hoping that this is related to the coolant issue but wanted to ask the question and see if anyone had any input. This morning, it turned right over cold.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    99 V70XC

Were you getting steam out the tail pipe? Head gasket is indicated, or cracked head. You can lose enough coolant through a weeping hose to make the coolant level light come on in a days time. Also check radiator overflow tank cap. You could be losing coolant thru heater core as well, water is always circulating regardless of temp setting. Also, my radiator fan runs after shut down quite often for maybe 10 minutes, wouldn't worry about that.

Hope it has turned out ok, I know you posted about a week ago.

Terry