Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Squealing when turning

OK, I searched a few hundred threads. The most common problem seems to be "clunking" but I don't think I have any of that.

When you turn the car (04 xc70) the front end squeals, sometimes chirps but usually loud. It sounds like metal on metal. I think it started just when turning to the right, but now either direction. Doesn't seem to do it in reverse. Going over bumps while turning may make it worse.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Arne

Could be the power-steering pump itself, the serpentine belt or just your tires. Does it squeal if you turn it at a stand-still? Check the state of your belt and belt tensioner. If it squeals at a standstill check your PS fluid level and put a stethoscope on the PS pump while someone else turns the wheel.

Hmmmmm, I did just change the serpentine belt. The noise is worse now but it was there before I changed the belt. Also I changed power steering fluid.
    It doesn't squeal at a standstill.

Honestly though, I feel like this sound is coming from the wheel wells.

Arne

How about the endlinks?
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Quote Originally Posted by norski View Post
    It doesn't squeal at a standstill.

Honestly though, I feel like this sound is coming from the wheel wells.
    Oh, okay, you have tire squeal due to wear in suspension or steering components. Your alignment may be fine with the wheels straight but when you turn the play in the steering/suspension allows the alignment to get out of spec. Check the tie rod ends, ball joints and control arm bushings.

The "going over bumps makes it worse" statement usually points to tie rod ends. But who knows, it can be so many things on this car. The strut bearings are a weak point, as are the ball joints and sway links on this car... take your pick, or just wait til it gets reaaaallly noisy making it easy to diagnose lol!

is the squeel speed ralated?

Lex

I don't know if it's speed related or not. When I jacked up the front end and turned the wheels and spin the tire there is a creaking, groaning sound and vibration at the rubber boot going into the wheel. It happens at a particular point of each revolution. Is this the CV joint?

I can not replicate the high pitched squeal sound with the car jacked up.
    Arne

That's the CV. Replacing the half shaft is the cheapest solution. About an hours work if you know what you are doing.
    MY05 XC70: +4C+DSTC +Premium Pkg +Zimmerman Coated+Ceramic +General UHP+Rims +IPD Solid Strut Conv. +IPD Poly Mounts +IPD HD TCV +IPD HDCoils

Norski,

Could be the prop shaft rubbing on the front muffler. My car did this after having new front bushes put in. Only did it at low speed when close to full lock. It's a known issue with the XC and there is a PDF bulletin about it in the resources section of this site.

The tell-tale is a silver stripe on your propshaft where the muffler has rubbed away the paint.

We solved the issue by inserting a few washers in the front exhaust bracket support thereby lowering the exhaust just a fraction.
    2001 Cross Country SE
    140,000 kms

"Write a clever saying and your name will live forever"

Anon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast