Default Engine shuts off under heavy acceleration

I have been researching a few forums for the past few weeks to try and identify what could be causing my issue but so far have been unable to find anything. The problem is when give it about 3/4 throttle or more, the car shakes (from turning off I will assume) and starts to "sputter". I can continue driving as long as I keep giving it gas, once I come to a low speed/stop the vehicle shuts off. I do not have any CEL's. The car is able to be started again immediately after I come to a stop and put it in park, and I can continue driving as if it hasn't had any problems as long as I don't give it to much throttle.

Any suggestions or other post's that I may be able to reference would be greatly appreciated.

Erik

Vehicle Info
    1998 V70XC
    238,XXX miles
    Recent work done by prior owner: Cam position sensor.

*Edit*
    *Edit* Another issue that I have been having has led me to believe my alternator was failing. I have had all the lights on the car (dash, headlights, radio) dim every few seconds. I went and had my battery/alternator tested and the battery failed testing, outputting 10.44 volts with nothing on. I will be replacing that battery once I get off work, and then having my alternator tested. I wasn't sure if a bad battery could cause these types of symptoms. I will update this once I replace the known failed things.
    Last edited by erik02; 07-19-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Additional information.

Bump.

Fuel filter? A bad battery will cause flickering/dimming and will damage alternator. Put a good battery in and then have the charging system checked.

Ah, I should have updated the info of my previous post. I have replaced the battery, the dimming issue is now gone. I still do have the cutting off issue. The alternator did pass the test that was performed on it. I have not checked the fuel filter yet, however upon replacing my CV axle tomorrow, and removing the drive shaft (if that is what is causing the clunking noise im also having) I will do so. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another possibility is the fuel pump/relay. I had a problem with our 850 cutting out but on light throttles/off gas, but this started also at 80km/h on the highway. Doesn't sound exactly like your cars problem, but is not unheard of. I was advised by Volvo that you should change both relay AND pump. I just changed the relay for a used one and so far no further issues. I'm not convinced that the issue is solved, but at $600 for a Volvo fuel pump (must be made of rare metals) I will wait until it fails. Relay is about $100-120 from Volvo, I paid $20 from a breaker for a used one.

Good luck with this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hogie50 View Post
    Another possibility is the fuel pump/relay. I had a problem with our 850 cutting out but on light throttles/off gas, but this started also at 80km/h on the highway. Doesn't sound exactly like your cars problem, but is not unheard of. I was advised by Volvo that you should change both relay AND pump. I just changed the relay for a used one and so far no further issues. I'm not convinced that the issue is solved, but at $600 for a Volvo fuel pump (must be made of rare metals) I will wait until it fails. Relay is about $100-120 from Volvo, I paid $20 from a breaker for a used one.

Good luck with this problem.
    I will be replacing my fuel filter first, if I still have the issue I will look into replacing the relay and pump. I hope its something as simple as the fuel filter. Thank you for the response.

I had what sounds like a similar problem on my '98 - under high (full throttle) acceleration, the car would stumble and shut down - only to restart and run fine. All this without a CEL, otherwise, the car ran fine. Turns out it the problem was caused indirectly by the air pump, which had failed when the air injection valve on the exhaust failed, causing the pump to fill with water (a common problem with the air injection system). The ‘filled with water’ is key here – under high acceleration the significant intake vacuum from the turbo was sucking water from the air pump through the air filter and into the mass airflow sensor. While a little 'water injection' may be OK, this was enough water to cause the engine to shut down. I did not make the connection until the MAF failed - while replacing it I found a brown water spot on the air filter just adjacent the air pump hose connection. There was also a noticeable water spot on the MAF mesh. After replacing the MAF, air pump and valve the problem completely went away and the car has run fine for another 70K miles. - Good Luck
    '98 XC - Mine - 186k & Still Going
    '00 S80 - Safely Carrying My Daughters
    '05 XC90 AWD - The Wife's - Sometimes I Get To Drive It