Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Worklog/Showcase: MY04 XC70 2.5T

This thread is a translated / modified version from a norwegian forum. Original thread: http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?showtopic=1222328. I will keep them both updated at the same time If this thread is misplaced or outside forum regulations, feel free to move or delete. Comments, questions and / or text to please is very much appreciated!

About me:
    My name is Adrian. I'm 18 years old and live in (cold, snowy) Norway up there a tad south of the north pole. Luckily i live in the south end (2 hours driving south of Oslo), so it's not that bad. I work these days as a moderator (one of 30 hand picked) on Norways largest forum (profile), and as a writer for one of Scandinavias biggest hardware-related sites.

Introduction:
    This is my beloved daily driver. My very beloved daily driver, if i may. I love it. I first fell in love with the XC January 2010, and i spent over a month looking for my perfect mate. Being tied to a wheelchair i needed something wich could take some punches - and not be so.. wheelchair-driver-ish, if you know what i mean. This included the criterias of AWD and an Automatic transmission. Not being so found of dieselengined cars wich seems to take over the world at the moment, i also wrote down Gasoline-powered on my list. At the end of February this one showed up on the market. There were over 300 XC70s (03-07) on sale these two months, but only 14 were gasoline-engined. Three of wich was in black, one of wich was with "necessary" extras - wich i bought. The black interior was just a bonus My baby cost me 300k NOK (~ 46 500 USD, ~37 000 Euro, 32 100 Pounds) - in my mind well worth two and a half years of hard work saving everything i earned, no drinking or smoking.
    When i bought her, she had approx. 148 400 km on the clock - and just turned 154k this week.

Summary: I loove my car..

- Car as of easter '10

Factory facts:
    Engine : 2521cc LPT DOHC straigt 5.
    Transmission: Automat, 5 speed tiptronic
    Power: 208 BHP @ 5000 RPM / 320 Nm @ 1500-4000 RPM.
    w/ Haldex (2nd gen.) AWD
    Consumption: 9,8 highway, 12,37 city (l/100km)
    Model: MY2004 (imported and registered 06.01.2004)
    Color: Sapphire Metallic Black w/ all-black leather interior.
    Length: 4,73 meter
    Width: 1,86 meter
    Ground clearance: 21 cm
    Luggage space: 1061 / 2024 liter (rear seats up / down)
    Weight: ~1700 kg

Accessories:
    * Bi-Xenon
    * RTI-nav
    * Cruisekontrol
    * Orginal alarm
    * Built-in phone
    * Rainsensor
    * Headlight wipers ()
    * Manual seats ()
    * Rear child seats (lol)
    * DEFA-varmer

- Car as of May '10, shiny and cute with new shoes.

What is done so far?
    * Modified for wheelchair-usability (Post #194: volvoxc.com/showthread.php?t=14737&page=20)
    * New shoes - HEICO Volution V 18" (volvoxc.com/showthread.php?t=16313)

Future plans!
    * R-ification:
    * R engine rebuild (K24, injectors, custome tune ++)
    * R Interior touches (cluster, leather etc.)
    * Newer model interor touches (aluminium etc.)

Future future plans:
    * 6-speed R Automatic

##First post not complete. Will continue to fill it with to-dos and such. New updates will come in new posts, and a list of URLs to updates will be kept here:
    Last edited by Adrian; 05-23-2010 at 04:50 PM.
    Current Cars:
    1994 BMW 850 CiA (151k km) Diamond Schwartz. A chipped 5.0 liter V12 4-speed auto with every option imaginable.
    1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible Survivor (44k miles). A 7,7l, 472 cid, 3 ton monster doing 6 MPG.

Previous Cars:
    2004 XC70 2.5T (Died at 173k km) Saphire Black with black interior. RTI, manual seats and an automatic 5-speed.

"My wife has now officially banned me from any more automotive DIY." - jyanno

This is under the passenger side front seat:

Is that the connector for the external amplifier wich i not yet have, somtething else, or a combination of i.e. seat-warmer and amp-connectivity?
    Current Cars:
    1994 BMW 850 CiA (151k km) Diamond Schwartz. A chipped 5.0 liter V12 4-speed auto with every option imaginable.
    1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible Survivor (44k miles). A 7,7l, 472 cid, 3 ton monster doing 6 MPG.

Previous Cars:
    2004 XC70 2.5T (Died at 173k km) Saphire Black with black interior. RTI, manual seats and an automatic 5-speed.

Adrian,

did I read correctly you paid $46,500 dollars for a used 2004 XC70 with 140K kilometers? WOW cars are very expensive in your neck of the woods.

Hell, for that kind of money you would get a brand new 2010 XC70 down here in Florida.

For a 18 yo "kid" you have your head well kept over your shoulders. Good luck to you, I know you are going places with no problems.

Yes, you did read that correctly. Over here thats not a very bad price either. Could have got it down do ~42k, but i didn't bother. Btw, don't get the idea that this sets the standard over here. This is my first car, but WELL over the standard. For people at my age 10k USD is a lot for a car, even when they are around 21. But i didn't want anything that could fall apart, and i love Volvos As said; well worth 2,5 years of hard work.

Comparison; A new 2010 XC70 T6 with NO extras (zero, nought, 0, zilch) is 1,006,500 NOK. A little over 154 000 US dollars. A D5 is around 100 000 USD. Gotta love the Norwegian goverment Gas over here is also hitting 2$/Litre.
    Current Cars:

Previous Cars:

Cost comparions across borders are meaningless until you know what the average Joe makes for an hour worked. That is, how long does Joe have to work in Norway to buy your average used XC versus what he has to work in the US (or Canada). Or to put it more inclusive of all the things involved like taxes, at the end of a working day how much of the local currency ends up in Joe's pocket.

What I've found over the years is that when all things are added up, they have a tendency to equal out Joe-wise when you compare the G7 countries. Some things cost more, some less; but overall pretty equal at the end of it.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Is that the connector for the external amplifier wich i not yet have, somtething else, or a combination of i.e. seat-warmer and amp-connectivity?
    Looks like you are missing a factory amp PA200 or PA300.
    What Head Unit do you have? HU603?
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

As I mentioned in a different thread.

Your car is looking fan-freakin-tastic. Especially after putting on the 18's.

I love the colour as well. When I was looking for my car, I wanted that colour, but eventually settled on a silver example.

for you.
    It is better to die like a Tiger.....
    than to live like a pussy - Master Wong

Quote Originally Posted by ifnt420 View Post
    Looks like you are missing a factory amp PA200 or PA300.
    What Head Unit do you have? HU603?
    I have the HU-603 with no upgrades on the stereo, but i'm undergoing an aftermarket upgrade. (HU-803 (picking it up tomorrow) + iMIV, carputer, R (Gobie/black) doorpanels (ordered today), aftermarket speakers, amps and such.) But that is the plug for the amp, right? I have to go hi-in on the amp i'm putting in - does anyone know where i can find a wiring-diagram for that cable or speaker outputs?

Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    As I mentioned in a different thread. Your car is looking fan-freakin-tastic. Especially after putting on the 18's. I love the colour as well. When I was looking for my car, I wanted that colour, but eventually settled on a silver example.

for you.
    Thankyou very much! I'm in love with it myself. Will be even better when i get some tint on those windows!
    Current Cars:

Previous Cars:

Mmm.. What could it be?
    Current Cars:

Previous Cars:

Could it be..

- A headunit? But Adrian, what have you done to your own HU-603?, i hear you ask..

- Nothing, dear. Just upgrading a little. An HU-803 i can has!

- So cute

- Oh, yeah. And some tint for the not-black-enough headlights - and foglights.

Oh, aaand.. Just bought some Premium-prepped Gobie/Black R front door panels on eBay. And sent some emails about PA-300s for sale. Yay for me!
    Last edited by Adrian; 06-04-2010 at 08:00 PM.
    Current Cars:

Previous Cars:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast