Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JayPinNC View Post
    I get smoke from my dipstick tube (and oil fill hole) - but it's not blue. Is this just smoke that hasn't made it into the PCV system yet?

MY01 / 124,000 mi
    What is coming out of the filler is not really smoke. Its a mix of oil vapour and combustion blow-by so its not really burning oil, hence no blue smoke. But in any case, it should not be blowing out of the filler; and in fact, if everything is in good condition you really shouldn't see much coming out of the filler at all.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

"Much" and "Smoke/Vapour" are two tough words to use in a sentence - it's not a LOT, but it's enough to warrant PCV service.

Someone needs to invent a drain snake for the PCV system.
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    What's this blue smoke crap? Blue has nothing to do with anything.
    When oil is burnt it generates smoke that is usually referred to as blue. Drive down the highway and you'll see old bangers pumping blue smoke out their tailpipe. I was first alerted to a problem with my PCV system due to blue smoke out of the tailpipe while idling. I thought it was something more serious until I saw the smoke coming from the dipstick tube as well. I assumed it would be the same color as the tailpipe smoke, I guess not, I didn't examine it that carefully, once I saw it I knew the PCV was clogged and dismantled it. Here's a great example of smoke from the dipstick tube although I can't really tell what color it is, looks like it's just vapors as Bill said.

Thanks for the feedback guy's - It looks like I need a PCV service - tonight I put my hand over the filler cap opening and no suction at all (as a comparison I did the same on our Peugeot and the suction was very noticeable).

What is involved in the PCV service?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12