Question RTI Navigation system 'forgets' settings!

Hi everyone,
    An odd problem has developed on my (2008) XC70 and I'm hoping an expert here can help, because my local Volvo dealer is stumped!
    When I first bought the car in April '09 it was about 10 months old. At that time, the built-in RTI remembered its settings - in other words, if you set "Female Voice", "Miles" as the unit, and "United Kingdom" as the country, those settings would be persistent even if the car was left undriven for a week or more.
    Then after about 3 months, the RTI suddenly forgot all these settings and reset to the defaults (Male voice, Kilometers, unknown country). I configured it again and all was well for a few weeks. Then it reset to defaults, again. I went through this cycle of choosing my preferred settings & losing them again with increasing frequency, but once it got to about the 15-month-old mark the RTI just stopped remembering settings altogether. In other words, if I choose settings now, turn off the RTI & engine, then re-start the RTI - everything's back at defaults.
    To me, this seems like a battery issue - almost like there's a backup battery on the RTI that helps it remember these things - but my dealer denies this is the case, and can't offer a solution.

Any thoughts or ideas?
    Waiting in hope !

It sounds like you have an electronic component problem within the RTI. I think your settings are 'held' on an electronic chip which can be modified from 'default' to 'customised' and this should remain even if the car battery is disconnected (It's the same sort of thing for the Audio/Car Radio) however if you keep losing your settings then it looks like this 'memory chip' has developed a fault, so the whole RTI would have to be swapped out. Should still be covered by your 3 year warranty.

I have exactly the same problem on my 2008 XC70! I bought the car at one year old and I have always had to enter the required parameters (miles, male voice etc) each time I use the system.

I must admit I hadn't thought of raising the question with my dealer as I thought it was just one of those annoying IT type software problems! I will now ask them about this at the next opportunity and will hopefully post the response.

I would be interested to hear how you get on (and anyone else with the problem) as it is very annoying to have to make these inputs every time.

A lot of problems on recent models are corrected via software upgrades to the car. Could also be a wiring or hardware problem. Is your car still under warranty? I would recomend the S/W upgrade. Not a bad idea to request a TOTAL upgrade occasionally. This covers all available upgrades available at the time.

is there any upgrade navigation system for year 2007 xc70, thanks Manny