Default XC 90 Vibrations

Hello All.

I have a 2008 3.2 FWD (wish it was V8 AWD). In the past 8 months or so I started noticing a vibration when accelerating. The entire XC90 vibrates, even when under light acceleration, but even more under hard acceleration. It's very noticable at low speeds, but also noticable at highway speeds. The vibration is also noticable when the car is idling in Neutra and Part, and also when stopped in Drive (at a stop sign or traffic light).

The first time I brought it in a complained about it, the Volvo dealer mechanic told me that this was "normal," or common on XC90's, which I do not accept. He asked me to drive it until the next oil change to see if it got worse, which it did.

The car has about 33,500 miles on it and I noticed uneven wear on the front tires, so I had the car aligned and rotated the worn tires front to back, thinking that a bad alignment and worn rubber could contribute to the vibration. No change.

The next time I brought it in they changed the driver-side axle. It's no better. I am replacing the Michelin Pilot MMX's with Goodyear Assurance ComforTread tires soon (80,000 mile treadwear warranty), in the hopes that this would make it better, but I am doubtful because when the car is not accelerating there is no vibration and the ride is very smooth.

The second time I brought the car in, there was another guy there with the same issue on a V8 AWD model.

Has anyone else had the same experience? If so, have you had it resolved and how?

Feedback is much appreciated.

Thanx,
    Jim
    Last edited by roadbiker; 02-11-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

It's sounding more like a worn engine mount seeing that you're also experiencing the vibration when the vehicle is idling in P or N.

Here's a quick update...

Today, February 11, I brought the car back to the dealer. They changed the passenger-side axle and now it appears that the vibration is gone. It may be too early to claim victory, but driving the car back f the dealer the ride was smooth and free of vibrations!

Hi I had this on my XC90 D5 after a trip to the French Alps and the problem was solved by reblancing the tyers for a second time and it did solve the problem, I was told that the 18inch tyers need balancing as they wear, one year later its just starting again so off to the tyer fitters in the morning. give it a try it could be the same mate.