Default Heat from B-Pillar Vents?!?

Noticed something strange this evening...

The temp was -11C tonight, so pretty chilly. When we got into the car after having a bite to eat, my daughter in the rear seat said that she was cold. So I told her that the heat should be coming on pretty soon. I had the temp control to AUTO, as I always have and both left and right temp dials set to 22, which is where I always have them, all year round.

After a few minutes, I was getting heat in the front vents, but my daughter was still getting cool air from the B-Pillar vents. I then put the selector for BODY on the pictogram and cranked the fan to max and she was getting heat. Then I switched back to AUTO and she was getting cool air.

What gives with this? Can't I get warm air in the rear on AUTO?

Thanks!
    -Mitch

Was there heat coming from the rear floor (under the driver and passenger seat) vents?

The car has several points from where it takes the overall temperature in the car. My guess is the desired temp was already in the back area and therefore it did not need to inject any more hot air into there. Just because she was 'cold' does not mean the cabin was cold. You also have big fan blasters under both front seats to heat the back passengers feet so this also has an effect on the overall temp.

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    Was there heat coming from the rear floor (under the driver and passenger seat) vents?
    I don't know...I will check next time.
    -Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by AWD*V70XC View Post
    The car has several points from where it takes the overall temperature in the car. My guess is the desired temp was already in the back area and therefore it did not need to inject any more hot air into there. Just because she was 'cold' does not mean the cabin was cold. You also have big fan blasters under both front seats to heat the back passengers feet so this also has an effect on the overall temp.
    Hmmmm...good point. Although the circumstances were such that the car was out at -11C all day, we went out to dinner and then came back to the car without any sunlight, so no chance to heat building up in the car.

I'll check the footwells though, just to see next time.
    -Mitch