Default Milky Deposits on Oil Dipstick

Been noticing these deposits on the oil dipstick for as long as I have had my 98 XC (over 4 years and about 70K miles - car is going on 175 K total). They don't seem to be getting into the sump. I've always had very low coolant consumption. Seem to show up more/worse in winter. Lately, I've been running the car at idle a lot while using my ham radio setup in the car, and seems like that may be increasing the amount of these deposits.

On last oil change, switched to Mobil 1 synthetic 10W-30 after using Castrol Synthetic Blend for many changes.

My indie dealer/mechanic says this is a common behavior on the white blocks and not to worry. I suspect that it may be due to moist cold air being sucked into the dipstick tube past the o ring seal, which on my engine seems not to be very tight.

Any opinions/comments/similar experiences?

Unless you are losing a lot of coolant, this is perfectly normal if you've been driving in cold weather for shorter distances. It's basically just a bunch of condensation in the oil, and most likely not coolant.

Take the car for a longer highway drive, a little spirited, getting everything nice and cooking in there. Should clear up that sort of stuff. Although don't be surprised if it comes back. Common issue for people in cold weather with low mileage drives.

Hope that helps!
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Thanks for the info and easing my concerns. Zero mileage at idle while playing radio is probably while there has been more in there of late!

BTW - you can see my ham radio setup in the XC at the www.qrz.com web site - just put my call, AJ1G into the call sign search window to bring up my listing.

All the best in the new year,

Chris, AJ1G
    Stonington, CT

Quote Originally Posted by StoningtonXC70 View Post
    Been noticing these deposits on the oil dipstick for as long as I have had my 98 XC (over 4 years and about 70K miles - car is going on 175 K total). They don't seem to be getting into the sump. I've always had very low coolant consumption. Seem to show up more/worse in winter. Lately, I've been running the car at idle a lot while using my ham radio setup in the car, and seems like that may be increasing the amount of these deposits.

On last oil change, switched to Mobil 1 synthetic 10W-30 after using Castrol Synthetic Blend for many changes.

My indie dealer/mechanic says this is a common behavior on the white blocks and not to worry. I suspect that it may be due to moist cold air being sucked into the dipstick tube past the o ring seal, which on my engine seems not to be very tight.

Any opinions/comments/similar experiences?
    I had the same experience. Replacing the dipstick o-ring every couple of years fixed it until Volvo discontinued the part. Now they have a replacement dipstick/tube which has dual o-rings. I switched out ours two years ago and it has solved the problem...so far. I paid $35.27 for the part.
    Steven
    2007 XC90 V8
    1998 V70XC
    1992 245

Thanks for the info - your comment is the first I have come across on this subject that confirms my suspicion that the milky dipstick phenomenon is due to cold moist air being sucked into the dipstick tube past a loose fit o ring seal. I will see if I can find a suitable replacement o ring somewhere.

Apparently this phenomenon is not uncommon on other engines besides Volvo white blocks, although I have never encountered it in any of my current other or past vehicle engines.

In this cold and snowy weather, I have not had much success cooking out the dipstick even under highway driving.

Guess it's not a real big concern - I have never seen any of this stuff in the oil when I drain it for an oil change. There is no oil in my coolant, and I am not losing any coolant from my expansion tank.

You need to do an "Italian tune up" daily.
    Seriously, it's almost impossible to get rid of it during the winter unless you take a 1000 miles highway trip. Slow, (stop and go), city driving is terrible for any car, especially in the winter when nothing gets very hot