Default 2002 XC 70 Head Light Assembly/ Front Bumper removal

These instructions are for replacing the Head Light housing. I just completed this on my 2002 xc70 135K miles

Tools:
    Socket wrench and extensions
    Deep well 10mm socket
    13mm socket
    t-25 driver or t-25 screwdriver
    8mm wrench

1: Remove nylon rivets along the upper grill. These can be removed by pushing the center portion inward till you hear a click. These should be re-useable.

2: Locate small 8mm nut on Headlight wiper arm. Remove this nut and slide wiper arm off. Do not to remove the fluid line.

3: You will see small remove-able covers on the front of the bumper. The bolt is 13mm. Remove.

4: Inside the front wheel wells you will see a t-25 screw. Remove this screw.

5: Look at the bottom front edge of the you may see a nylon rivet. Remove these rivets.

6: At this point you should be able to remove the front bumper. Be careful of your wiper arm and fluid line. Do not let the bumper hang on this line.

7: Remove 2 10mm bolts from the top of the headlight, 1 10mm bolt near the radiator, 2 10mm bolts on the bottom ( these bolts also hold the wiper motor), The last 10mm bolt is hidden. Go to the fender near the wheel well. You will see 2 10mm bolts (These are not the bolts you want) but you will see a square cut out in this plastic cover. look through this hole and you will see a 1 10mm bolt. That is the bolt you want. Remove.

8: You will see 2 wire plugs connecting to the back of the headlight. Remove these plugs.

9: Slide the headlight assembly forward and remove from car.

You can now replace glass, clean lens, replace with new, or what ever else you desire :-)

Reverse steps to put everything back. Took 1 hour in the drive way with hand tools to replace headlight assembly.

Easy job just make sure you have plenty of light.

I realize I'm replying to an old post, but having just done this an hour ago on my 2003, I can add some detail.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbenny1313 View Post
    These instructions are for replacing the Head Light housing. I just completed this on my 2002 xc70 135K miles

Tools:
    Socket wrench and extensions
    Deep well 10mm socket
    13mm socket
    t-25 driver or t-25 screwdriver
    8mm wrench

1: Remove nylon rivets along the upper grill. These can be removed by pushing the center portion inward till you hear a click. These should be re-useable.
    as is common with this type of rivet, to replace remove the center portion entirely, place the outer piece in the hole and replace the center portion, pushing until it clicks into place.

2: Locate small 8mm nut on Headlight wiper arm. Remove this nut and slide wiper arm off. Do not to remove the fluid line.
    On my 2003, there was a small hinged cap that you pull out of the way (it swings towards the end of the wiper) to reveal this 8mm nut. The edge of this cap was curved so you could fit a socket in.

3: You will see small remove-able covers on the front of the bumper. The bolt is 13mm. Remove.

4: Inside the front wheel wells you will see a t-25 screw. Remove this screw.
    This was no problem on the removal side of the project (turn the wheels towards the opposite side for clearance). However on the reassembly side, the piece of plastic that receives the screw came off. It is pressure fit onto the bumper, and clips into the plastic that is still bolted to the car. Watch for this piece and make note of how it fits in, in case it falls out.

5: Look at the bottom front edge of the you may see a nylon rivet. Remove these rivets.

6: At this point you should be able to remove the front bumper. Be careful of your wiper arm and fluid line. Do not let the bumper hang on this line.

7: Remove 2 10mm bolts from the top of the headlight, 1 10mm bolt near the radiator, 2 10mm bolts on the bottom ( these bolts also hold the wiper motor), The last 10mm bolt is hidden. Go to the fender near the wheel well. You will see 2 10mm bolts (These are not the bolts you want) but you will see a square cut out in this plastic cover. look through this hole and you will see a 1 10mm bolt. That is the bolt you want. Remove.
    Again, disassembly was easy, although don't even consider trying to pull that hidden bolt (the last one mentioned above) through the hole you access it through. At least on my 2003, if you let the bolt fall, it falls down and there's a chute that drops it neatly into an accessible tray below (which almost feels designed just for this ). You'll want either a strong magnet, or very nimble fingers to reassemble this (I had to wiggle the bolt into the hole using one finger each in 2 of the holes, and then having someone hand me the socket on an extension. It took several attempts to line this up (and each time I failed, the bolt landed in that same tray )

8: You will see 2 wire plugs connecting to the back of the headlight. Remove these plugs.

9: Slide the headlight assembly forward and remove from car.

You can now replace glass, clean lens, replace with new, or what ever else you desire :-)

Reverse steps to put everything back. Took 1 hour in the drive way with hand tools to replace headlight assembly.

Easy job just make sure you have plenty of light.
    Ultimately, I think it took me just about an hour too. I'd say 15 minutes disassembly, 5 minutes to swap headlight housings, and 40 minutes to reassemble to my liking.

Hope this helps someone.

-Hal

"Bump"

Can a headlight assembly from another MY or model be installed on my 2002 XC? I am looking at getting one from a salvage yard, but they only have a 2001 XC, and other models such as S60, S80 etc.

- Jason
    Last edited by to_jayson; 02-13-2014 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Bump

Used these instructions to get an" extra" bulb that the previous owner had left in the marker light. Replaced a washer pump while I was at it. Pulled the wheel well to replace the alarm siren module as well. I ended up pulling the module out of the front through where the headlight assembly is. I didn't take any pictures, but I probably could have taken it out without taking the wheel well apart.