Thread: Bevel gear

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bevel gear

I just had my 60,000 km (36,000 mile) check-up on my 2005 XC70. There are 3 biggies on the to-do-list that bother me. The fist is the $800+ repair for a "heavy leak at bevel gear". I'm told that if I don't have this repair done shortly it will result in a $2500 replacement of the bevel gear. This seems to be a common problem on XC70's!

The second item on the to-do-list is to replace 2 hinges on the sunroof, which apparently have "very small play in the sun roof hinges" according to the technician. The cost to replace the 2 hinges is $1000.00! I don't use the sunroof much, but it opens and closed no problem - I can't imagine how small the "play" is because I don't notice anything!

The 3rd item is the "rear parking assistance sensor" not working. I already knew this because every time I started the car (it was intermittent at first, but now it's every time I start the car) I'd have to acknowledge the warning message to get rid of that annoying amber warning message.

It's strange how all this appeared just months after I paid for a complete check-up prior to the 4 year / 80,000 km warrantee expiring!

This is my 2nd Cross Country and I thought the financial bleeding was just an issue with my first generation 98 V70 XC. Apparently not!

As much as I’ve “loved” my Volvo's, I'm seriously considering selling my 2005 XC70 and opting for something that won't nickel and dime me after paying top dollar for a "luxury car"
    Have I had two lemons in a row or are these cars “needy”?

I hope these are Canadian prices as those are rip off prices.
    As long as the bevel gear oil is checked and topped off (if necessary) at oil cyhanges you could go literally years before resealing it.
    My wife's R has been "leaking" for 2 years now!
    As for the roof, that's nuts

Agreed... those prices are out of line.
    If the bevel gear is leaking it should get fixed soon, just keep an eye
    on the fluid level and refill with 75W90 as needed.
    I don't know about the sunroof... I mean if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just keep
    the tracks and moving bits lubricated.

Find a good independent mechanic to do the bevel gear if you can.
    The other stuff can definitely wait.

Where did you go in Montreal??? it seems someone is trying to rip your pocket, I almost know all the Volvo garages in town and how they work...

My bevel gear housing has been leaking for about 3 years and the level has dropped maybe 1/8" in that time. As long as you don't mind cleaning off your belly pan, and bevel gear housing every oil change then don't worry about it. Just check the level every oil change. Save your $800 for Christmas beer and smoked meat sandwiches at Reuben's!!!

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

I have to agree with everyone on the leaking bevel gear. Look at this way, with the slight weaping of the oil, it will be like a slow refresh of oil as long as you check it each oil change and add what's needed.. Heck Harley-Davidson motorcycle riders have been leaking oil since they were new! As for the rest, like they said, if it ain't leaking and still works sounds good to me.

Just keep an eye on it. Mines been weeping for 4 years may be more. I'd would check it at every oil change. This last oil change I bought some of the overpriced Volvo oil and topped it off. I added less than 1/4 of the bottle.