Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell your story

Default Tell your story

So, why did you buy a 2001-2007 Volvo XC70?

I always loved the way the new XC70's looked. I'm a visual person (graphic designer) and it's imposing, large yet great looks is what drew my attention first. It's a large car but well balanced in it's proportions, athletic and sporty.
    I've always wanted one.

Then the day came... when I destroyed my beloved Passat. It was a 2000 1.8T. I loved that car. Power (chipped), good looks, great gas mileage. I completely screwed up by taking my attention off the road for 1 second and hit a telephone pole! That day changed my life. I emerged virtually unscathed, bruised arm and forehead where I hit the steering wheel. I was shaken to the core, and I KNEW I had to get either another Passat, or something equally as safe... or better!

I looked at other VW & Audi's as I am familiar with the brand (I still own a 1999 A4). I also looked at Subaru... upon closer inspection, the subies are nice, but I would not have the nearly same saftey features as a German car or Volvo. Besides subies are overrated in my opinion. Yes they are reliable, but not bullet-proof. I was very close to getting a Passat wagon, when I started exploring Volvo's. I test drove a few XC70's and I was immediately impressed by the build quality, mechanical, fit, function, ergonomics, safety, these cars have it all! Just as good as the best German marques. Plus it's much bigger than the Passats, Audi's and Subies. It's also faster and definitely better put together... the whole package just works better than other wagons with AWD. It sits up a bit high for my taste but looks good nonetheless and I'm sure I'll appreciate it more in the snow. Lastly, it's safety systems are the best... hands down, better than anything I've encountered and for my growing family it's perfect. My son Aidan has already claimed it will be "his" car when he's old enough to drive (Ronan will have to settle for the modded A4 LOL!).

I did more research and found a nice used 2003 XC70 with the updated ECM, transmission and Haldex AWD system. The car has 134K miles but rides incredible regardless of the miles. I still love this car... the mod bug is biting my ass hard but I'm trying to resist as I don't have a lot of money now!

I wanted to be the first to put a Manual in a P2 and considering they come in the FWD versions I wanted to be different like normal and do it in a AWD version.

That when you lower a XC its looks all wide body racer ish
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    So, why did you buy a 2001-2007 Volvo XC70?
    The only AWD Volvo left at the dealer...it was September and my 98 GLT had just been murdered by a Ford Aerostar.

Oz

Had 2 kids... started with Honda Odyssey minivan... totally a back saver lifting these kids in and out of car seats for a couple of years

Wife didn't like the minivan stigma. So off to something sexier when the kids got older and can open door and climb in/out themselves. Got an 01 V70 T5. Kept some of minivan's utility with a wagon + much sexier looks.

But like everyone else, wife eventually craved for something that looked more outdoorsy. XC's higher stance, bumpers + lower panels that give is an appearance of ready for rock+mud, and the roof rack did her in... I got the T5 and she got the XC We have the third row which comes in handy with 2 kids and periodic visitors.

She wanted to move into a XC90 but the lower gas mileage stopped us.

As for whats next? 08+ V70/XC70 is nice but the less responsive and lower gas mileage new 6 cylinder isn't so desirable. A Volvo safe hybrid would totally capture our interest. Prius is getting our attention but we worry for lower safety (even tho it has 6 air bags) + the current high price due to lack of competition.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Built for tall people. I'm 6'6" and this car was the least expensive compared to a 7 or S series by BMW or Merc. Still handles like the QEII but it's comfortable on long trips and is adept at getting up our steep hill to our mountain house in the winter.

I have my Ferrari 328 GTS if I'm feeling a little racy.
    Scott
    -2000 V70XC 83K Miles

Long time Volvo fan, always loved the looks and utility of the XC.

However, when looking to buy my last car I wasn't looking at Volvo, as I was concerned about the price. I was looking for a car that can fit two kayaks on the roof, gear in the back, and 4 people comfortably. Leather, sunroof, and the other bells & whistles were important to me. Not surprisingly it was hard finding something that fit the bill.

Then I accidentally came across a XC with a motivated seller, car was well maintained and looked after - I took it for a test drive, loved it, and haven't looked back since.

I am fairly young (26) and a lot of my friends have smaller, sportier rides - but everyone has come to love the "grocery getter" / "shaggin' wagon". Whether it is exciting outdoor adventures off the beaten path, loading he car up with beer, long road trips, helping move people, or picking someone up stranded at the airport in a blizzard, she has served all of us great.

I'm thankful every day I went for it.
    2001 XC70, original trans

I had a few Volvo wagons growing up but had got away from them for a few years. When my Saturn SL2 decided to die on me I needed to start the car hunt on a budget. Living in New England I wanted AWD and something that was remotely "Home Depot trip friendly". My boss has a 2005 XC70 and raves about it. Found a good deal on a 2001 at my local "gently used volvo" dealer with S/N function removed, transmission updates, no shift flare, nearly mint interior, pull down luggage cage, brand new tires, brakes, floor mats, 90-day bumper to bumper, 1yr/15k mile powertrain, etc. Miles were a bit higher than I would have liked but I loved the car and love the Volvo name so I bought. So far I love it and it has come in incredibly handy making runs to the airport full of luggage, polo matches full of coolers and camping full of gear.

Volvo for life.
    current: 2001 XC70 207,000mi, original tranny

past: 1987 740GLE tranny...bleh
    past: 1979 240DL head-on collision

Had Subarus, got an XC70 for rental car at SanJose airport. Drove about 15 miles, called my wife, and said we needed one of these XC units. We got one a few months later. It's my favorite car ever.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

When my wife and I decided that we only needed one car after I retired, a Volvo was a logical choice. We had had 6 of them out of the 45 cars we've owned and we needed a vehicle that would be AWD and could haul. Didn't want a truck although a diesel LR Defender would have been perfect for use on our place here. So anyway, we traded the two Volvos that we had (a plain-jane V70 and a '96 Cdn-spec 5 speed 854R - Gawd, I love that car!) and had put serious miles on and off we went with our XC.

So we've used our XC to haul beach rock, lumber for our renovations and gardening projects, small trees and shrubs (Time Bandits perhaps?), animal feed and all manner of other things. We've even driven the thing to the grocery store.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast