Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alarm System Service Required

Just noticed the other day when turning the ignition on after unlocking the car. Message goes away after 10 seconds or so, or by using end of turn signal stalk. I'm pretty sure I need a new siren.....here's how I determined that..

1) Keep one door open, then lock all doors with key fob.
    2) Unlock the open door by pulling up knob.
    3) Close that door (still unlocked), so now all doors are closed.
    4) Open that same door.......front and rear signals start flashing repeatedly, but NO siren sounding.

Before when I've tested this operation, the siren always sounded. Is this a common failure?? Called dealer yesterday, and my price for the siren is $274. Is it plug and play and message go away, or does the system need to be dry humped by VIDA??

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

My alert message has been flashing for a few months on the 01XC.
    So far no issues - just ignoring it.

[BTW if this helps somebody steal it I will be a happy insurance check collector!]

With my luck it will probably crap out and shut down the entire vehicle until the stealer flashes VADIS with a $1500 reset code or some such nonsense.

I have the same problem, unfortunately it happended to me while on a holiday in Denmark. The car made some very
    disturbing noises and since I was a long way from home I wanted to be sure what caused these noises.
    I did suspect the siren, but some rivets need to be drilled out to reach it and since I don't carry such tools with me on
    a holiday , a dealer took an expensive look at it. It was indeed the siren, the part was not in stock, so it was
    disconnected, resulting in an active but silent burglar alarm
    Since the moment the siren was disconnected, I also get the message to have the alarm system serviced. And yes, the
    siren is a member of the cars network (via serial communication), a new siren must be introduced in order to work.
    Willy
    PS: you could try the following: when the car is locked and the burglar alarm is active, press the red button to activate the siren.
    If the system can't reach the siren, it may activate the horn (it does so in my case).
    The test isn't conclusive but may hint further in the direction you already think.
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Thanks Willy!! I did a bit of research into the siren, and apparently it has its own built in battery power in the form of a NiCd battery pack. A bloke in England successfully sourced out the battery pack and did the surgery on the unit himself, and didn't need to see the dealer at all. He plugged the unit back in, and the message went away.

Regarding the red button on the remote; when I press that and hold it for a few seconds, the horn will sound off....not the siren (siren only sounded when simulating an intrusion). Also, the lights will flash with the horn so as to simulate a panic mode I guess, or scare the crap out of a would be thief.

Dave.

Default The alarm circuit board probably got fried

Happened to me and others that I've seen.

Following link has all the info I found + pictures of the inside. Search down and find the section "Alarm Service, Alarm Triggered, Sunroof Not Working"

http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvo...lectronics.htm

If you order the alarm, I found Darrel Waltrip Volvo to have the best prices for OEM parts.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Thanks Willy!! I did a bit of research into the siren, and apparently it has its own built in battery power in the form of a NiCd battery pack. A bloke in England successfully sourced out the battery pack and did the surgery on the unit himself, and didn't need to see the dealer at all. He plugged the unit back in, and the message went away.

Regarding the red button on the remote; when I press that and hold it for a few seconds, the horn will sound off....not the siren (siren only sounded when simulating an intrusion). Also, the lights will flash with the horn so as to simulate a panic mode I guess, or scare the crap out of a would be thief.

Dave.
    I also plan to take a look at the siren module, I also want to reroute the wiring in some way, so I can disconnect it somewhere under the hood. The power to the unit can be removed by pulling a fuse in the drivers compartment, but in my case it seemed as though the Upper Electronic Module still tried to access the siren module, resulting in a constant clicking sound. Of course, once unplugged, the thing became totaly silent and I felt better
    In any case, I want to prevent to need a costly intervention while I am abroad, I even consider to leave things as they are.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

I had the same issue on my 04 a few months ago, bought the $200 module and installed it and then the message went away and no more of the alarm going off.
    2004 Volvo XC70
    1992 Volvo 740 Turbo
    1981 Volvo 262c Bertone w/B230FT
    1980 Volvo 262c Bertone w/B230 M46

That means that, contrary to what I believe(d) that the siren does not need to be introduced
    in the network per Vadis intervention. Good news
    Willy

Since I had to change tyres for the winter season, I also took the siren module out, to
    find it was at least half filled with water! It is a mystery where the water came from,
    the only way seems to be the connector pins (perhaps the connector was not in place
    as deep as it should have been. But even then, there is not supposed to be any water
    there, unless it could be condensation, which I seriously doubt. The printed circuit board
    was damaged, some copper traces were interrupted (under the transformer). After repair
    the siren now works again, I now need to decide if I will replace the backup battery,
    if they start leaking they can also destroy the electronics. Perhaps I can fill the whole
    assembly, leaving no space for "strange substances". I will at least seal the pc board.
    To be continued....
    Willy

How did you get the unit apart? Does it have screws or did you have to cut it open?

Dave.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast