Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Replace Rear Washer Nozzle

I broke the rear washer nozzle off while changing the rear wiper arm

I found the attached helpful detail on the forum.

How does one replace the washer nozzle? I removed the inner cover of the hatch door, but the washer nozzle doesn't seem to pull out. Do you have to remove the wiper motor? Is there some kind of retaining clip? I have the original motor so I definitely need part 2 (Volvo #30634270) or do I need 2 and 3 (Volvo #30649037)? Could anyone that has done this before give me some hints?

Thanks,

Harold.
    Last edited by Crazy Harry; 04-27-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Fixed part number!

There is a very brief item in Haynes: "The tailgate washer pulls from its position in the wiper motor spindle (see illustration)."

The illustration shows the jet being pulled from outside the tailgate, with the item 6 trim removed first.

Had same issue. Get a #2 or 4 sheet metal screw (wood screw would work too) and thread into hole a couple of turns. Pull out screw and rest of nozzle with pliers. You only have to replace the tip (part #2 on diagram) but you have to buy $$$$ the whole assy.

When you put the wiper back on use never-seize or grease on the cone section to help it release it next time.

Jeremy
    2001 V70XC, 2K V70, '87 740 TI Wagon 325K+! (what are the chances of the XC making it to 325K?)

Default Any more tips, experience?

Thanks for the tips. Never thought that you would pull it out from the outside. I did some other searchs and found the screw into the stub trick there as well. Jeremy, what do you mean by the whole assembly? I've seen listings for the nozzles and tubes separately, i.e. part 2 and 3 for around $20 and alternatively part 7 for a little less. I'll try to get the parts first to see what I'm up against. I'll keep you posted. Any other tips would be appreciated.

I did grease the stub as Jeremy suggested.

Thanks,

Harold.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Harry View Post
    Jeremy, what do you mean by the whole assembly? I've seen listings for the nozzles and tubes separately, i.e. part 2 and 3 for around $20 and alternatively part 7 for a little less.
    Looks like 2+3 and 7 are two piece and one piece versions of the same. It would be nice to just be able to buy the part 2 if you have the two piece version.
    Jeremy
    2001 V70XC, 2K V70, '87 740 TI Wagon 325K+! (what are the chances of the XC making it to 325K?)

Default Front Windshield Washer System

Does anyone have a .pdf file similar to the one attached at the beginning of this string showing the components and part numbers for the front windshield washer system? (MY 2001 V70XC).

I've got an intermittent problem with my passenger side spray nozzle. Often no water comes from that nozzle unless I keep the sprayer on for a minute or more, then water finally starts to spray. I suspect a check valve or "no return valve", as they call it.

I'd love a schematic of the whole system similar to this one to help me track down the problem. Also, I've checked the resources section and don't see this "Rear Window Wiper.pdf". Am I blind?

Thanks!
    2001 V70xc, Ashgold/
    Sand, Premium Pkg

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Hope this helps. I've also attached a couple of PDFs with respect to the washer nozzle adjustment/replacement. The rear wiper PDF was likely posted in a separate thread by another member (possibly willy?) and wasn’t submitted to the resources section of the website.

Default Thanks!

This will help greatly.
    2001 V70xc, Ashgold/
    Sand, Premium Pkg

Hi all...great forum!

This thread caught my eye.

The rear washer nozzle cover on our 2004 XC70 is broken. I have the part number for our VIN, and can order it by mail, but I wanted to be sure that this is all that's wrong with the assembly.

The nozzle looks sound, to me, but the nozzle holes seem to be pointing down, and the spray never comes near the rear window. Presumably, the cover guides the spray, when it's intact, though I don't see how. Is there something else missing?

Here's a pic:

And another, with the wiper flipped the other way:

So, does the nozzle itself look OK?

Thumbs up Job Done!

This was easy and not at all expensive! Total time about 15 minutes. Part #2 was Volvo #30634270 (2004 XC70) and only $10.22 Cdn. at the dealer! Here's what I did:

1. As per the original answers, I inserted a small screw into the remaining plastic (note small and don't insert too far so you don't expand the brass tube) and pulled outward. As you can see by the photo below, a brass tube was drawn out that sits in the check valve part (part 3) of the wiper motor. The new nozzle is at the top right. The old pieces on the bottom (nozzle, nozzle tail extracted from tube, brass tube).
    2. I tried to reem out the the broken end of the old nozzle from the brass tube using a straighted coat hanger. This didn't work, so I drilled it out with a small drill bit at slow speed! Then used the coat hanger to ensure the inside of the brass tube was all clean.
    3. Next I pushed the new nozzle into the brass tube - there are little tabs on it to hold it centred in the hole through the bolt. The brass tube has to seat against the nozzle so these tabs overlap the tube (sorry no photo).
    4. Next I pushed the brass tube into the hole, flat side of nozzle down, jets up and had to give it a light tap to ensure the nozzle was almost flush with the bolt. Didn't have to take the trim off the inside of the door.
    5. Finally, using a sewing needle I adjusted the jets' aim.

Thanks to Jeremy and dhayner for your advice.

Harold.
    Last edited by Crazy Harry; 04-27-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast