Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

IF you throughly clean the BG sleeve & the carrier splines, you can loctite the sleeve in place, it's not gonna go anywhere. There is an inner & outer seal, so with the sleeve in place, no debris can get inside the diff.

A VS'er who used an M66 in a FWD configuration added a modified CV boot to cap the whole thing, but I don't think that is really necessary, albeit not a bad idea.

'98 V70XC/446AWHP/347WTq / M66 AWD/ Built RN Motor/ Dual VVT head/Enem Cams/TurboTuner ECU/1000cc injectors/ LGSpeed Header/ Custom Intake Manifold/PTE 6262bb + 3" DP/ FMIC/ Water Injection/ 3" intake pipe/ Greddy BOV/ Apexi AVC-R /Column 3-pod: AEM AFR meter/ Dual Boost/Pyrometer/ IPD Sways/ IPD endlinks/ Kaplhenke AWD Suspension/ 18" Motegi 116/ IPD BBK/ Rear Custom BBK/ 3" dual 14834 Magnaflows/ EST H/L's/ SharpHID Hi/Lo&Fogs 4500K/60-100 in 4.3sec 1/4 mile 110mph

Damn I totally forgot that you and Justin were talking about this a little while ago.

I'm definitely doing that on the 98 XC once the VC fails...

Bad Ass LookingForJoe!!!

So pretty much if I press the sleeve out of the out of the bad BG, insert with loctite and properly seal, I can eliminate the entire BG casing (which mine is broken), and install a FWD axle assembly essentially eliminating the BG case all together.

On another matter I posted about, do you know if I can install a regular auto trans in a 01 V70 that originally had a geartronic POS? I can get the trans, TCM, harness etc. from a donor. My S60 MSR has the geartronic but it is an 04 and I have not had problems with that one as of yet (27k miles). The V70 has 96k on it and will not move at all. Thanks for the info, you guy on this forum know you stuff.

Bad Ass LookingForJoe!!!

So pretty much if I press the sleeve out of the out of the bad BG, insert with loctite and properly seal, I can eliminate the entire BG casing (which mine is broken), and install a FWD axle assembly essentially eliminating the BG case all together. What year/model axle should I use to complete this mod?

On another matter I posted about, do you know if I can install a regular auto trans in a 01 V70 that originally had a geartronic POS? I can get the trans, TCM, harness etc. from a donor. My S60 MSR has the geartronic but it is an 04 and I have not had problems with that one as of yet (27k miles). The V70 has 96k on it and will not move at all. Thanks for the info, you guy on this forum know you stuff.

You have to use an AWD axle. Like I said in the last posts that there is no avoiding this. The coupler(sleeve) does not have to be pressed out of anywhere. It will slide out of the BG before it slides out of the tranny.

So in other words you need no parts to convert over to FWD. None! just take the BG out and loctite the coupler onto the output shaft on the tranny. Done!

As for the tranny. You would have to start a new topic on that in a different forum to get some more detailed info. My best bet is that it will work out just fine.

haha The funny thing is neither Hussein nor I are from this forum

I think I've got it now.

Like I said please excuse the ignorance on the matter. I have not worked with these XC's before.

I did not realize that the AWD axle went through the BG into that coupler and the trans. I thought it was set up like an American transfer case set up.

I am planning on pulling the car apart tomorrow when I get home from work. I will post pics of the project throughout the stages. I just hope I do not have to completely remove the sub frame because my engine leveler/tranny removal tool is currently loaned out. I guess a engine hoist would work just fine to keep everything straight if needed.

Thanks again. I will post again hopefully with a completed job.

Quote Originally Posted by paxc70 View Post
    I think I've got it now.

Like I said please excuse the ignorance on the matter. I have not worked with these XC's before.

I did not realize that the AWD axle went through the BG into that coupler and the trans. I thought it was set up like an American transfer case set up.

I am planning on pulling the car apart tomorrow when I get home from work. I will post pics of the project throughout the stages. I just hope I do not have to completely remove the sub frame because my engine leveler/tranny removal tool is currently loaned out. I guess a engine hoist would work just fine to keep everything straight if needed.

Thanks again. I will post again hopefully with a completed job.
    You don't need a hoist, subframe removal, or anything.

Remove fore/aft driveshaft.

Remove R/S axle (separate balljoint from spindle so you can swing spindle out of the way when pulling axle)

Remove bump stop for BG from subframe.

Unbolt 5-6 BG securing bolts & exhaust support bracket

withdraw BG from Diff, rotate to clear pinion on subframe, drop out underneath.

Done

Remove Sleeve, clean splines, locitite, re-install in diff case. Reinstall axle, etc.

'98 V70XC/446AWHP/347WTq / M66 AWD/ Built RN Motor/ Dual VVT head/Enem Cams/TurboTuner ECU/1000cc injectors/ LGSpeed Header/ Custom Intake Manifold/PTE 6262bb + 3" DP/ FMIC/ Water Injection/ 3" intake pipe/ Greddy BOV/ Apexi AVC-R /Column 3-pod: AEM AFR meter/ Dual Boost/Pyrometer/ IPD Sways/ IPD endlinks/ Kaplhenke AWD Suspension/ 18" Motegi 116/ IPD BBK/ Rear Custom BBK/ 3" dual 14834 Magnaflows/ EST H/L's/ SharpHID Hi/Lo&Fogs 4500K/60-100 in 4.3sec 1/4 mile 110mph

Hussein, keep in mind that 99+ have the oil cooler bolted onto the oil pan. This get's in the way of the bevel gear coming out. So dropping the subframe a bit will help with getting the BG out in this year. Atleast I had a hell of a time trying to get it out without moving the subframe! This was with a lift as well. And yes I did remove the little rubber mount/stopper.

Yet another 98 advantage

Quote Originally Posted by binglax09 View Post
    haha The funny thing is neither Hussein nor I are from this forum
    thats kool. the more knowledgeable vs'ers that are on here the better.
    Hailing from the Majestic Rocky Mountain High
    RIP 04-08-09

Extras: Bilstein Hd's, Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors, K&N Air Filter
    IPD HD TCV, Stylin Motors Silicone Hoses, Silverstars, 8000k HID Fogs
    It is illegal to get this high in other states.

Need OEM Volvo Parts?
    Call Daryl Waltrip Volvo
    (800) 689-0021
    Ask for Jamie or Don

Thanks to all that helped with information on this repair/modification. I finally had a chance to do it and it was as straight forward as lookingforjoe said it would be. Here are some pics from the job. Check out the destroyed angle gear housing. Second pic is of the BG still in the car leaking trans fluid. Third pic is the BG sleeve before I cleaned it and applied the loctite. Fourth is the driveshaft. Last pic is the external oil cooler that I had to move out of the way in order to remove the BG. Took about two hours with a little B.S in between. Thanks to all. I will now need to replace the heater core. Will look for assistance from you guys on that one as well.
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/attach...1&d=1238870034

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast