Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Elimination or modification angle gear

Hello everyone. New member but long time Volvo fan.

I recently purchased a well maintained 99 XC70 that was dealer maintained and seemed to be an overall good purchase.

As the problem with many, my angle gear is now toast. I was leaving for work and back out of the driveway no problem. When I attempted to move forward, the car acted like to was in park. In a act of frustration, I floored the car and it moved, resulting in the angle gear case exploding and leaving two chunks of metal on the road. Total destruction!

A friend suggested disconnecting the six bolts from the rear drive shaft to the unit. The car now runs and drives but not well.

My question is does anyone know of a way to completely eliminate the angle gear? What year right drive shaft will work. What model.

Also I have a line on a used angle gear from a 2004 S60 R unit with low miles. Is this a possible replacement? I apologize for my ignorance but am really in a bind right now and need the car. It is very clean and besides this issue, is a gem. Any help will be great!

So after calling a Volvo nut I found out the dimensions on the later gear are different at a minimum. That idea is pretty much shot.

Now I figure my best chance is the elimination of the unit using 850/S70/V70 drive parts. The only issue I see is the input at the transmission, (axle seal, spline count, etc). I figured with all of the problems associated with this terribly designed part, someone would have attempted this at some point.

Any help would be terrific.

You can either just right it without the angle gear which does work but is not really recommended since the differential bearing is open to the elements.

The best bet is to just clean out the broken angle gear and place it back onto the tranny with the coupler unit to seal it. That will work without ANY issues!

Ive done both both of the above without issues along side just taking the angle gear out of AWDs that had bad VCs.

If you want to go more extreme then this and totally do away with the AWD system. You can drop the tranny out, and replace the differential and the bell housing with a FWD unit. OR just replace the differential with a FWD one and use the proper rotating seal to compensate for the size different from the bell housing to the axle.

PM me and I can talk to you further on the phone if you need help.

Thanks for the reply.

Would it really be that difficult to eliminate the angle gear assembly completely by simply removing the unit and replacing it with a right side shaft assembly from a FWD s70/v70. The bracket points that mount the axle assy look to be the same. The vehicle naturally splits 95/5 with the AWD system in place until it is needed as far as I found out. The only issue I could see is the input side of the axle properly mating to the trans. This would in theory make the car solely FWD just the same as a regular v70/s70?

I am somewhat unfamiliar with the mechanics of the XC trans vs. a regular FWD. I would leave the angle gear assy in there, but it is missing two chunks out of the case.

Again I apologize for the ignorance.

The FWD and AWD trannys are identical other then the differential and bell housing(for mounting).

The differential just has an extra spline on it so that it will mate to the BG with the coupler.

The case it made so that it seals with the coupler for the BG. So if you just install the passangers side axle it will be open to the elements. Which isnt bad for a few months or what not but it isnt a long term fix.

You can't fix this issue with a different axle, only ONE type of axle will fit into that side of the differential due to it's design.

I can post up s a few images if you need that to get a better idea.

Here is an album of 4 images dipicting the differential for the AWD and the bell housing. CLICK

The passangers axle fits into that center hole on of the spline. There is a seal that goes on there which I had removed. So what it comes down to is that you need a broken BG in order to completely seal that side of the tranny.

Thanks for the reply and the pics.

I have the old broken BG. The top of it's case is broken. The side that mounts to the trans is good.

So basically if I bought a FWD right side axle, and cut the end off of the BG that mates to the transmission, I could use the FWD axle and properly seal it from the elements?

You said there is one extra spline on the shaft itself. Would this mean breaking down the trans and replacing the diff with one from a FWD?

I basically am looking for a reasonable fix/mod that will allow for the car to operate properly without the AWD. Like I said it is a nice piece and besides this issue mechanically sound.

Thanks for all of your input. I have yet to remove the BG. I was waiting to find out if a reasonably priced used one was available, or an adequate modification was possible.

One last thing. Does the entire sub frame need to be removed to take out the BG, or can it be slid out some other way?

You guys rock on this forum. Off to drive my 12 MPG Suburban until this is fixed.

You HAVE to use the AWD axle as it's smaller diameter that fits into the differential.

You need to take apart the BG, get the bad stuff out and use that to mount onto the tranny with the coupler installed so that it is seals.

You can replace the differential with a FWD BUT then that means you have to drop the tranny out in order to do this. If you can do that without an issue then go for it but if you have to pay someone to so it then don't bother.

You can get the BG out with the subframe in place but it's tricky!

Thanks for the info. I think I'm either going to try and find a used BG, or part the car out. I thought there was a way of eliminating the unit completely and just install an right side axle right in it's place with out using the BG housing. Oh well. Thanks for the in depth info.

One other question I have. A buddy of mine has a 2001 V70 FWD with one of those obnoxious geartronic auto/manual units in it that is toast. He wants to sell it to me cheap and I was ready to buy until I saw the price of a used replacement. OUCH!!!

Is there any way to replace that unit with a regular auto transmission? In my searching I found a S60 for parts with the trans, axles, TCM, and harness if needed.

Have you heard of this being done before, and is it as much of a pain as the XC BG conversion? Any help will be great. Car is clean and worth the price he wants if it could be done.

These Aisins really should be outlawed! All I here is problems.

First Aisin Warners are awesome trannys BUT no one changes the damn fluid ever.

As for your AWD issue. It's so easy to just use your broken BG to block off that hole. Far easyeir then parting, replacing the diff. or getting another tranny.

Remove the BG, take the bad parts out, replace it and you are DONE! then you can sell the drive shaft, VC and the car to make more money then parting it would.

As for the V70, don't bother with automatic 2001s! If you can get the V70 for a good price then the best bet is to drop a 5spd into it and call it a day.

or you could make the wises choice in Volvos and just get a 98 X70 FWD! The most reliable Volvo out there (other then the older red blocks).

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast