Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

does anybody know the differance between the grey and white buld holder

Quote Originally Posted by dcandmc View Post
    The genuine Volvo bulbs come with the small plastic base that is used to insert the bulb into the hole in the back of the dash module, but even so that price of $10.11 is crazy. Radio Shack sells a micro bulb in a two pack for $1.79 that may be compatible with some of the Volvo dash illumination bulbs. You'll have to reuse the plastic base, but that's very easy to do and simply entails twisting the wire leads in the correct way.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103780

I would suggest taking out the burned out bulbs and checking the size against the Radio Shack bulbs before you spend $10.11 per bulb for the Volvo part.

I've used these Radio Shack bulbs in a Honda Odyssey. When a bulb for my XC70 headlight switch burned out, Radio Shack didn't have a matching size, but Honda did and the price was one third what the Volvo bulb cost.

Also, if there's a colored covering over the original bulb (kind of like a little tiny condom) to change the shade of the light, you can usually carefully pull it off and reuse it on a new non-Volvo bulb.
    i know its an older post but i just wanted to confirm that the micro bulbs from The Source.ca AKA Radio Shack work just fine,,,you just have to use the original plastic base housing,,replace the bulb and put it back...the bulb itself is almost half the size of the original bulb,,but its not loose or anything...after weeks of darkness ,my ecc panel lit like a christmas tree again lets see how long they will last.. ps . i didnt use the blue condoms from the old bulbs as they were discolored and they were too big for the radio shack bulbs...i didnt see any difference on the light of the panel..

Quote Originally Posted by tegbill View Post
    this forum is really good.

Question: Why disconnecting the battery or the the ECC plug, when there's enough wires to stick it out, turn it, remove faulty bulbs and put everything back together. No key in the contact= no power to the bulbs.

thanks
    pascal
    i did not disconnect the battery , i just have disconnected the lighter plug from behind of the ecc panel and turned it over and worked on the bulbs,,,there is definitely enough room to work without disconnecting the ecc plugs...but the key has to be in the contact and turned on cause the shifter needs to stay at D to give you enough room to get the panel out and turn....the bulbs had to stay on during my work...it didnt feel good but i was very careful not to touch any metals around,,,finished replacements without any problems

Cool Try LED's as replacements

I would recommend using the Neo Wedge series of LED lamps from Superbrightleds.com.
    The NEO3 size works well in many V70 XC 2000 applications.
    Only catch is they are polarized thus if they don't work you will have to rotate them 180 degrees after reconnecting the power.

I have a 2001 volvo v70xc awd and I have a light out on my driver mirror when I press the approach light buttom on my remote keyless it does not light up. How do I change this bulb? [email protected]

Problems with using LEDs in ECC. One is that the light emitted is too bright - not diffused and so giving a blotchy effect. This can be countered if you are willing to take trouble - see below. Two is LED s work differently to incandescents so will not work with the pannel light dimmer switch.
    I found a Jag forum in UK and a poster from New Zealand Oubadah 1995 XJ series. In his very informative and closely described post which is documented with excellent photos and is dated 07-03-2010; 01:21 AM see: www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x300xjr-26/what-led-backlights-dimming-38712/ He explains that if you remove LED carefully from holder you will find a resistance and a diode, he shows clearly how to mark each LED for polarity and change value of resistance to get a better light. He illustrates how he set up a jig with the instrument pannel on a power supply and decade box, so he could experiment with different resistance values to find the best. He even illustrates the appearance of a changed LED alongside the stock incandescents. This guys posting is really an eye opener about how much time and trouble some people are willing to spend to get quality results!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123