Default Satelite radio on 2009xc

I have noticed that 6 month try-out subscription should be included in all '09 XC. I noticed that mine has not been activated when I got my new car. My question is, do I ask dealer to activate on my behalf or I should call Sirius expecting that they should know this program, thus be able to activate for me?
    Thanks

My dealer told me I had to call Sirrius directly to activate free 6 month suscription directly with them. I did just that and had satellite radio within 5 minutes. Just make sure you are in your car (not driving) when you call them as you need to give them a serial number you get from your radio (somewhere in the menus) and have to go to a preset station while activating the radio.
    Easy to do, great radio, and free (for now). After 6 month it is about $15/month. No obligations past the 6 free months.
    2009 XC70 T6 Black Saffire / Expresso interior
    2008 Audi TT Roadster Ibis White / Brown Baseball Optic interior

Past Volvos:
    2000 V70XC Venitien Red (sold at 185,000km)
    1994 850 Sportwagon repainted Safran orange (sold at 242,000 km)

Default Update

Talked to the dealer and yes, need to call Sirius witn VIN number and activate 6 month tryout.

Quote Originally Posted by waldi View Post
    Talked to the dealer and yes, need to call Sirius witn VIN number and activate 6 month tryout.
    I don't recall needing the car's VIN, but definitely will need the Sirius ID, which as the other poster said, can be retrieved thru the menus.

Well Sirius just cancelled my free suscription after only about 50 days...

It happenned December 26, all of a sudden the radio updated my suscription and I lost Sirius radio. Not a great timing as we did a lot of driving in rural areas during the Holidays without proper FM radio either. Thanks for the ipod...
    Saturday, as I got back in town, I called Sirius customer service and they gave me some BS story that my VIN did not match their records and that my car must be a US car not imported by Volvo Canada therefore not eligible for the 6 month free suscription. I argued with them that they are wrong as my car was bought from a canadian dealer and has all the Transport Canada stickers, the french manuals, software and warning stickers, the KM/h gauge, etc... Not a US car for sure. They still refused to give me my free suscription. Plus the customer service agent was rude like if I was trying to cheat on them, this is what upset me the most . I was upset enough with her to refuse to pay for a regular suscription. Why should I pay $15 a month when it should be free?

I will call the dealer later today to get them to talk to their local Sirius rep and get them to fix this.

Past Volvos:

Smile Update

car is Canadian but they my dealer stated that the radion (satelite) is US radio that is why they asked for VIN# and Sirius code. After explanation it was registered for 6 month free.

Quote Originally Posted by beavenx5 View Post
    Well Sirius just cancelled my free suscription after only about 50 days...

It happenned December 26, all of a sudden the radio updated my suscription and I lost Sirius radio. Not a great timing as we did a lot of driving in rural areas during the Holidays without proper FM radio either. Thanks for the ipod...
    Saturday, as I got back in town, I called Sirius customer service and they gave me some BS story that my VIN did not match their records and that my car must be a US car not imported by Volvo Canada therefore not eligible for the 6 month free suscription. I argued with them that they are wrong as my car was bought from a canadian dealer and has all the Transport Canada stickers, the french manuals, software and warning stickers, the KM/h gauge, etc... Not a US car for sure. They still refused to give me my free suscription. Plus the customer service agent was rude like if I was trying to cheat on them, this is what upset me the most . I was upset enough with her to refuse to pay for a regular suscription. Why should I pay $15 a month when it should be free?

I will call the dealer later today to get them to talk to their local Sirius rep and get them to fix this.
    Don't sweat it too much. Been there, done that, 2 weeks ago. The "investigations dept." put your account on hold b/c they think the radio is a US radio. Yes, it's the stupidest thing and makes no sense and I argued with them on the phone for 20 mins - even a Sirius supervisor won't help you. Why would they bother putting a US radio in a CDN car from the factory I told them, but common sense makes no difference. I suspect that's not what happened and some goofs have mistakenly labelled our Sirius ID's as US ones.

My dealer called his Sirius rep and it was resolved within a couple of hours. That's the way to go. After that, you'll need to call Sirius again from inside your car. Good luck with that.

Default Sirius US or CDn

Guess the question is, Is the number you are calling the US Sirius number or CDN Sirius number that would be the biggest difference, as they are two different entities.
    I have had Sirius portable radios for 4 years now. Was ticked that the US cars could get Sirius in the 08 models for $99 and CDN ones not till 2009. How much difference is in the cars CDN versus US in 08 and what did they do in the CDN 09's
    11 Flamenco Red T6 w/Espresso interior. Replaced 08 Ruby Red w/Esspresso interior. Replaced 04 Ruby red w/wing and full tint. Replaced 02 Ruby Red.
    Wife's car; 12 XC60 T6 White replaced 05 Ruby Red XC70 replaced 99 V70XC Sandstone

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
    Don't sweat it too much. Been there, done that, 2 weeks ago. The "investigations dept." put your account on hold b/c they think the radio is a US radio. Yes, it's the stupidest thing and makes no sense and I argued with them on the phone for 20 mins - even a Sirius supervisor won't help you. Why would they bother putting a US radio in a CDN car from the factory I told them, but common sense makes no difference. I suspect that's not what happened and some goofs have mistakenly labelled our Sirius ID's as US ones.

My dealer called his Sirius rep and it was resolved within a couple of hours. That's the way to go. After that, you'll need to call Sirius again from inside your car. Good luck with that.
    I did sweat quite a lot to get Sirius to give me the remaining of the 6 months free suscription that came with the car (free service was cut after only 45 days). I had to make at least 15 calls in 5 weeks to the dealer, Sirius customer service, Sirius local rep, etc... to fix this. My dealer even had to get Volvo Canada Marketing VP involved into this to fix this problem

I finally got Sirius radio back in my Volvo this morning, more than 5 weeks later... I think I was very patient... All this trouble because I am stubbern and refused to pay $15 per month for a service that should be free for another 4 months (a $60 total value).
    Last edited by beavenx5; 02-02-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Past Volvos:

Quote Originally Posted by beavenx5 View Post
    I did sweat quite a lot to get Sirius to give me the remaining of the 6 months free suscription that came with the car (free service was cut after only 45 days). I had to make at least 15 calls in 5 weeks to the dealer, Sirius customer service, Sirius local rep, etc... to fix this. My dealer even had to get Volvo Canada Marketing VP involved into this to fix this problem

I finally got Sirius radio back in my Volvo this morning, more than 5 weeks later... I think I was very patient... All this trouble because I am stubbern and refused to pay $15 per month for a service that should be free for another 4 months (a $60 total value).
    Wow. Sounds like I'm really lucky and my dealer's got a good contact within Sirius. Our local rep has been fantastic and super responsive. I was out only a few days.