Default Output Speed sensor??

I have a 1999 V70 XC that is showing a trouble code that reads: Output speed sensor circuit no signal. (PO722)

My question is where is this sensor found?

Are there multiple things that can cause this code?

The symptoms of the problem are: when driving the brake light will come on. Then a few seconds later the speedo goes to zero. Now the car will not automatically down shift while coming to a stop. If you do not pull it down manually, the car will start off in drive or OD.

If you continue to drive a while it goes away in several minutes. It will do this constantly at different intervals.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

abs modual is bad but repairable solder connection are bad.You don't want to know how much a new one will cost.

Look up Victor Rocha at http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/ if you're convinced it's the ABS module. I experienced entirey different symptoms when mine failed, so make sure that's what's causing the problem.

As "overworked" stated, the dealer will charge an outrageous amount to replace this. If the service manager mentions anything about "reprogramming", then raise the BS flag and then email Victor. He charged $140 bucks, not $800 + like the dealer wanted.
    Mike
    Bluegrass-XC
    (Somewhere on the Space Coast)

2000 V70 SE Cross Country
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4 (in Blazer Heaven)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Could be but there are speed sensors in the car. They don't fail all that often bu when they do this could be your problem