Talking Imported post

Posible danger with PBR Brake pads on wet roads

After reviewing the threads on Volvo brake dust, I was surfing to get more information on the alternative pads to limit the problem. I happenned on this webpage: PBR Deluxe Brake Pads . While I live in sunny Southern California, needless to say, it does (sometimes) rain here, and brakes do come in handy on the freeways and mountain roads. I'm going with the Mintex pads instead.
    2002 XC70, Silver/Grey, Yakama Rocketbox and ski racks, cable chains (never used/needed), new Contitnentals at 30k.

Default Imported post

Volvo OEM brake pads have two functions. First is to STOP the vehicle in the shortest interval. The second is to minimize the effect on the environment. Why dust on your wheels will affect someones's decision to alter either of the two functions to the detriment is beyond my comprehension. I only use Volvo OEM pads and just wash my wheels. -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Default Imported post

Dick,

It takes all kinds - and I certainly understand your comments.

But seriously, is there a difference in brake pads with respect to the environment?  I thought they were all pretty much the same, and asbestos is definitely not allowed any more.

Default Imported post

There is no such thing as a dangerous set of brake pads on any Volvo. Volvo would not allow such a car to leave their factory. I now feel that we are going to get into a debate about brakes like we did with tires, 'My Scorp's are better & your Nokians smell'

I am not trained to mess with the mechanics of the car (shame, because I could save a packet) and will leave all the problems to be sorted out by the garage, they have to stand by their work and parts and it might cost a bit more to have OEM equipment installed but I have to agree with Dick with both of his points.

The saying that springs to mind is the one about you can't please all the people all the time and as we have, not only people accross the globe but people in the US experiencing different climates I think, on the whole the XC range does a bloody good job where ever you are driving it.

I don't want to be a killjoy and stop people having their say but I am very happy with my lot.

BTW; I wonder how OceanBlue is getting on with her new car.

Default Imported post

I have found that all the European cars (Volvo, BMW, VW, Audi) I've owned since the mid-1980's all have OEM pads with black brake dust.  I've heard that it is because of European mandates to have pads that work well over a very wide temperature span, more so than some other areas may require.

Just for info, I installed PBR Deluxe front pads on my 2000 V70XC.  Put them in last winter and have driven in rain and snow numerous times without problems.  Could be they changed compound somewhere along the way.

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There is no such thing as a dangerous set of brake pads on any Volvo. Volvo would not allow such a car to leave their factory.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Just to be clear the PBR&#39;s are NOT OEM. I certainly agree that Volvo would never send a vehicle out with unsafe brake pads.

Regarding the question of whether a there might have been a change in the composition of the pads, the link in question was written in December last year; therefore, doubt that there was any change. I can&#39;t figure out why there would be any difference in performance . I&#39;m glad that they are working out for you .
    2002 XC70, Silver/Grey, Yakama Rocketbox and ski racks, cable chains (never used/needed), new Contitnentals at 30k.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SierraSkier @ May 04 2004,12:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just to be clear the PBR&#39;s are NOT OEM.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That&#39;s correct SierraSkier.
    Volvo XC brake pads are actually O.E.S. (Original Equip. Supplied) by ATE. From what I understand, the front pads are made in France and the rears from Italy.
    Front Pads
    Rear Pads