Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I just give the housing a nice light punch on the outside and presto - it comes back on.

Both bulbs are new and swapping the sockets from side-to-side left the problem where it originally was.

If I thump the tail light lens, the error message disappears and the light comes on. If I open the driver's door about 2 feet and slam it the problematic light will light and the error message disappears. Same holds true for the passenger door. It's a stupid problem with a quick temporary fix but it occurs at least once a week and sometimes more often. Yes, it's a petty annoyance but I'd like to fix it and I agree there must be a marginal electrical connection somewhere. It's a question of finding it.

@rickrickr:
    I like to spray electrical contact points with a silicon spray (like WD40 Co Silicone Spray). I believe the reason why this may help is it increases contact between metal that shows some degree of corrosion. I've had my front blinkers go on and off (even with new bulbs) and spraying the contacts worked.
    Now you describe that your left "position light" has problems even when you swap the sockets (leaving the bulbs in the respective sockets, I guess). Maybe trying to lubricate the contacts of the sockets (and of the lights themselves while you are at it) may help.
    If not, it may be more upstream from the "position light" (of course telling that slamming the drivers door seems to have an effects, does not sound good) and I don't have exprience tracking that down. Good luck!

This recently happened to me again. I tap the lens and it goes away temporarily.

This time a giggled the wire connection connecting the wires to the housing. So far so good.

Only on a Volvo would there be 5 pages worth of posts about a Position Bulb
    '01 Volvo V70 XC Ash Gold
    Beige/Light Sand Leather
    Premium / Touring / Booster

Quote Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
    This recently happened to me again. I tap the lens and it goes away temporarily.
    Yep, thats my experience as well.

You guys are gonna have to replace your light assemblies. I've learned this is the only remedy for Volvo lighting problems.

Brilliant. Giving it a gental tapped worked for me, too.

I saw this error for the first time a few days ago...and wasn't even sure what a position light was. I thought it was the auto horizon positioning thing that I have in my other car....and I wasn't looking forward to spending time fiddling with my lights in 5deg F weather.

This forum has high value.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by uscgc70 View Post
    My car gives me this message about 3 times a year, and it's always the left rear. i just go back and give the lens a whack with my hand and it pops back on. no big deal, but kind of a barbaric fix

Making it work by tapping on it only indicates that you will be replacing your lighting assembly very soon. I've been through this.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Making it work by tapping on it only indicates that you will be replacing your lighting assembly very soon. I've been through this.
    My mileage obviously varies. Been thumping successfully on my tail light assembly for a couple of years (and about 35,000km) now.

Had another strange experience a couple of weeks back - on the motorway when the info panel reported that one of my headlights was out (use dips as DRLs). Turned the lights off. Little later turned them on again and all was well again!

Speak nicely to your car, and maybe you can leave your lighting assembly alone.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast