Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recent mpg data

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    On a recent trip to capecod, I got 21 mpg in our 05 xc70.
    We had 2 bikes on the roof, 2 adults, 2 kids and probably 200 lbs in luggage.
    llw - anything on the roof can/will reduce your fuel economy 20-40%. Additionally, acceleration style accounts for 30% of your fuel economy. If you had a trailer hitch bike rack - I'd be willing to bet a Starclucks latte that your fuel economy would greatly be improved, especially at sea-level driving. Was the 200lbs in luggage on the top too (top luggage carrier)?

And here's the kicker - if your wife has lead foot, and if she drives it more than you, your car's computers have adjusted the fuel mapping for higher-end performance driving to match her driving style.

Light acceleration, and bikes in the back. You could see your fuel economy go up. Maybe get your computers reset? (Now, where's that reset procedure? )

Default Fuel Milage

I'll reiterate what I posted on the "Mileage" Thread with a few more comments.

Wife gets ~ 23 MPG ave. mostly shorter running around. Just did a 600 mi round trip from CT to PA and nursed the readout up to a 30.2 MPG average (never reset it and this could be +or- .5 MPG in reality) No real "hyper-mile-ing" techniques were used We just maintained ~65 MPH sometimes a bit lower and sometimes higher. Just used light throttle when accelerating (watching the instantaneous read-out). Lots of rolling hills so I could rarely get a grasp of the instantaneous mileage.

I'm quite pleased with that considering the EPA #'s of 24 Hwy. Oh yeah...the A/C was on 99% of the time. Also we'd vary the use of cruise control. With hills it's better to build up a little more speed going down and avoid throttle and gear-kick-down going up. I think cruise can hurt MPG in this scenario.

I'm guessing the newer XC's have some engine and drive-line advances to get better mileage but the real variable is how often and how far down you press your right foot!

Mechanical notes:
    Load: 2 adults, one 4 y/o and one big dog. Light luggage.
    Fuel - Premium 93 Oct. (ran some Jectron through a tank or 2 ago)
    Oil unknown probably 10w-30 Dino.
    Plugs look rather new.
    Tires Hankook Optimo's @ 36 psi cold.
    Transmission flushed w/Toyota T-IV.
    Bevel gears & rear Diff...just changed w/Redline 75w-90
    Air filter is clean.

Does anyone actually think the rear spoiler accessory adds to the gas mileage on longer trips? I really doubt that it can...any proof otherwise?
    *2005 Ice White XC70
    444K miles and...well...
    Driving the 08 V70 right now.

"Ah! There is nothing like the smell of burning British electrical components in the morning!"

Woo good point. I wanted to mention here since we are speaking of spoilers. Ever since i have installed my trailer hitch, my back window has been getting a lot less dirty! i assume that a spoiler would have a similar effect. So if you can judge the coefficient of friction or drag by how much eddies your car produces, then you can expect to have similar effect from your trailer hitch as you would from a spoiler.

does it increase mileage? i don't know.

Very interesting to read these comments and experiences. With so many variables it is hard to make direct comparisons but general trends and therefore expectations can be derived.
    Since getting my 05 a few months ago I have been doing mostly short distance commuting with A LOT of stops, gentle accelerating and rarely exceeding 2000 rpm . It has averaged 16 l/100km (15 mpg) with this driving and I was getting worried there was something wrong with the car. On a short trip down the highway to gas up recently I reset the monitor and got about 25 mpg. We just did a holiday trip, 300km return, mostly 90 kmh on rolling hills, keeping cruise off because of said hills, a/c on, fully loaded cargo area and got 8.8 l/100 km (27 mpg)! Boy was I glad to see that number. Not the best, but I no longer worry about the car's fuel economy. I just have the most expensive type of daily driving. No doubt if I did more mixed driving I would be in the 21-23 mpg range.
    05 XC70 Titanium Edition
    2012 BMW X1
    2002 Subaru Outback Sport (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Omega5 View Post
    Woo good point. I wanted to mention here since we are speaking of spoilers. Ever since i have installed my trailer hitch, my back window has been getting a lot less dirty! i assume that a spoiler would have a similar effect. So if you can judge the coefficient of friction or drag by how much eddies your car produces, then you can expect to have similar effect from your trailer hitch as you would from a spoiler.

does it increase mileage? i don't know.
    Since it adds anywhere from 50-100lbs of weight (depending on the hitch) I would have to say yes. Towing does impact our fuel economy - I get around 12L/100km (19mpg) when towing my tent trailer.

Mind you, my wife's uncle who has a newer Chevy Silverado V8 truck (a $35,000 model), when he tows a 5th-wheel trailer he get 7-9MPG. Without he gets 15-18MPG on the highway in 2WD mode. In 4WD mode, he gets around 7-9MPG highway in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by PGI007 View Post
    (snip to)It has averaged 16 l/100km (15 mpg) with this driving and I was getting worried there was something wrong with the car. On a short trip down the highway to gas up recently I reset the monitor and got about 25 mpg. We just did a holiday trip, 300km return, mostly 90 kmh on rolling hills, keeping cruise off because of said hills, a/c on, fully loaded cargo area and got 8.8 l/100 km (27 mpg)! Boy was I glad to see that number. Not the best, but I no longer worry about the car's fuel economy. I just have the most expensive type of daily driving. No doubt if I did more mixed driving I would be in the 21-23 mpg range.
    16l/100km is really, really bad. The worst consumption I have ever had in my 04, with short journeys in the city, has been 13l/100km. With changed habits (rolling stops, easy acceleration, anticipated braking, etc.), 11l/100km is relatively easy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightt View Post
    Does anyone actually think the rear spoiler accessory adds to the gas mileage on longer trips? I really doubt that it can...any proof otherwise?
    While I dont believe the spoiler would help at all with fuel consumption, I think a bicycle rack would do some good. Wagons and hatchbacks always have poorer fuel consumption than the sedan versions of the same vehicle (Golf/Rabbit vs. Jetta, Yaris vs. Echo, etc.). The tail of the hatch or wagon causes a mass of rolling disturbed air behind the tailgate rather than the more laminar airflow of the sedan body. In other words, the sedan slips through the air more easily than the wagon or hatchback. Also, hatchbacks are better than wagons for the same reason.

Finally had a chance to go on an extended trip in the XC70 (2000 miles). Average MPG for the trip was about 31 and this was calculated dividing miles driven by gallons added for each tank. Averaged about 60 mph while on the turnpike and interstate.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    16l/100km is really, really bad. The worst consumption I have ever had in my 04, with short journeys in the city, has been 13l/100km. With changed habits (rolling stops, easy acceleration, anticipated braking, etc.), 11l/100km is relatively easy.
    Hmmm. As I mentioned, my daily trip is about 7km each way (stopping at the daycare halfway) with lots of stops in between, and on a cold engine for most of it. When I do get the opportunity to drive a longer stretch in town the economy improves remarkably, maybe 9 l/100km. I do drive conservatively, with easy braking and accelerating. Is there something I should be getting checked out? This was bought as a CPO in March, the 48k service was done about a year ago. I plan to have my regular service in the fall, changing to synthetic as well.
    05 XC70 Titanium Edition
    2012 BMW X1
    2002 Subaru Outback Sport (retired)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast