Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Astro14 and Aviator: Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I'm changing the upper engine mount (A in Astro14's diagram), so I wanted to inspect the lower engine mounts (D in the diagram) to see if they needed replacing as well (I guess that's actually called the transmission torque mount).

I didn't know about the other mounts in the diagram, so I'll be checking those out as well.

Thanks!

Jason.

Default Hutchinson vs. OEM

I'm about to order a new 'transmission torque rod' ( mount D on the diagram in a previous post ). I'm afraid of the various poly-type mounts, and was planning to go with with OEM. But I see several on-line sites selling a version made by 'Hutchinson' and one claimed that Hutchinson is the OEM supplier. The cheapest OEM I've found is US$63 and the Hutchinson can be had for US$50.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

FCP Groton confirmed that Hutchinson is the OE supplier to Volvo. They seem pretty reputable.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)

Default UK powerflex shop

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    I would suggest checking out the distributors listed in Powerflex's website and especially checking out the UK ones. They generally have better prices and for a small bit like this bush, the shipping is hardly anything.
    One such UK site is www.powerflexshop.com. I can get the small torque mount bush incl. shipping to the antipodes for less than a certain US site wants for just the shipping.

Now can I get it here and put it on before a 1500km family holiday?
    Myzomela http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_Honeyeater
    1973 164 -> 1974 145+M41 -> 2001 V70XC & 1998 S40 2.0T+M56

Quote Originally Posted by myzomela View Post
    One such UK site is www.powerflexshop.com. I can get the small torque mount bush incl. shipping to the antipodes for less than a certain US site wants for just the shipping.

Now can I get it here and put it on before a 1500km family holiday?
    Not sure you saw my earlier post on it, but I just used the small Powerflex bush with a stock large bush in that lower mount. I couldn't keep a stock small bush in one piece here suspecting that it was the rough roads and the solid upper bar mounts that might have been causing the early failures. Any road, the combination has worked great for almost 3 years now with just a hint of vibration being transmitted and mostly only when cold (< 0C).

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Does anyone have the torque values for the 2 different sized fasteners on this piece? Couldn't find it on the resource page..

Skibo,

Assuming you are talking about "D" in the posted diagram:

The screws attaching the bracket to the transmission: 35Nm followed by a 40 degree turn

The blots to the subframe 65 NM followed by a 60 degree turn

The two bolts through the bushings 35 Nm followed by a 90 degree turn.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Thanks much, Bill. Going to try and get this on tonight.

(yes - D on the diagram)
    Last edited by skibo; 08-03-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    Not sure you saw my earlier post on it, but I just used the small Powerflex bush with a stock large bush in that lower mount.
    Thanks Bill, I did see that, and I intend to copy your setup exactly. I only get to drive below 0˚C a few times a year, but I do get to drive on some rough roads. Strewth, that's why I bought an XC in the first place.
    Myzomela http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_Honeyeater
    1973 164 -> 1974 145+M41 -> 2001 V70XC & 1998 S40 2.0T+M56

okay, my lower transmission torque mount bushing broke again at <= 45k miles on the 01 V70XC and the 01 V70 T5 was still good at 20k miles but definitely have quite a bit of play as the tiny bits of rubber in the bushing is worn.

I decided to manufacture the $4 fix. Well, it is now $5 at the O'Reillys where I live

Here is the list of tools and parts I used

- 5 inch C clamp
    - Dorman HELP! 31017 shock absorber bushing assortment. You need just the 2 small bushings. 31012 has just the 2 bushings but same price at my store.
    - All the parts from the original broken mount.
    - Some sockets (18/19/24mm to help with the pressing)

DSCF5481
    DSCF5482

The distance between bracket where the bolt goes through is about 38mm. Each of these bushing is about 23mm so you need to cut off about 8mm on one of them.

DSCF5483

I decided to face the little nubs on each bushing on the outside so my bushing would have good dampening action.

DSCF5486

Putting the bolt through the bushing requires a ratchet to turn it all the way through.

I didn't want to tighten the nut and squeeze the rubber bushing super tight. Original bushing had a metal sleeve that allowed you to tighten the bolt completely against it. If I make it tight without this metal sleeve, bushing becomes solid and doesn't have much dampening action. So I put some locktite on the bolt and put the nut on not so tight.

DSCF5489

I'll check in next oil change to see if the bolt/nut is working themselves loose.

Actually, I thought a better solution would be to find a rubber hose that can fill the space between the sleeve and the hole it goes through. My local Ace Hardware didn't have much of a rubber hose selection. If someone finds the right size hose, this might work better because you can reuse the metal sleeve piece.

Okay, enough of my mickey mouse manufacturing. Not quitting my day job
    Last edited by howardc64; 08-12-2020 at 06:30 PM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast