Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ok, I have read many threads about "Start prevented try again" I took my volvo v70 into the main dealer at Havant, Nr Portsmouth, England as the car wouldn't start. Did the computer read which cost £100.00! Told the antana ring was not working, had it replaced. Total cost £140.00. One week later same problem, took it back and was told it was the conectors between the ignition and the CEM. Connectors replaiced and yet another £100.00 Hey guess what same problem still there, love the car but it has to be reliable, cant wait for 15 min to an hour to get the car going again, have tryed the reset of the system by locking and unlocking etc HELP.....

Just happened to my wife and of course left her stranded at the grocery store while I was at home feeding the baby. One my way to the store to see what the heck is going on and Ill report more...

Went to the store and it started right up with my key. No idea why or how but it came home. Now I just have to figure out why it happened....

My '02 started having this problem. I purchased the immobilizer antenna ring, installed it myself, and the problem was solved.

Hope your solution is as easy as mine was.

I just had the same thing occur (start prevented - try again) to our 2001 XC70 with 183,000 miles. I stopped to gas the car up and got the message when I went to start the car. I tried 3 or 4 times and then the car started (all in a minute or two). I filled the tank as full as I could -- about a gallon more than when the pump shut off. The cable that holds the gas cap got tangled when I went to replace the cap so I removed it and successfully replaced the cap on the second try. I wonder if there was air or something similar that created the problem with the gas tank. We have never had the problem before today.

I've read about this on an S80 forum, where a tech indicated that the problem wasn't the antenna ring so much as it was the electrical connectors on the antenna ring and the car oxidizing. He recommended cleaning and adding dialectic grease to the contacts first-apparently a TNN/TSB exists for this procedure.

Hope this helps!

Ok folks my 05 xc 70 still wont start and i have done it all Start Prevented Try Again is still the message where do i go from here New Battery ,new antenna ring ,locked and unlocked ,held battery cables together ,removed computers from under the hood Clicking sound is still coming from under dash is there something loose under there

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Ok folks my 05 xc 70 still wont start and i have done it all Start Prevented Try Again is still the message where do i go from here New Battery ,new antenna ring ,locked and unlocked ,held battery cables together ,removed computers from under the hood Clicking sound is still coming from under dash is there something loose under there
    Have you tried another key yet? If not, do so. If it continues, and/or you don't have another key for the car, have it towed somewhere that can supply and program a new key(or two while they're at it) to the car. Or rather, they can scan it and see if the car says it is seeing a key, and/or if the CEM even says that it has keys stored in its memory. It could be a CEM problem, or it could be a key problem.

Yes that is going to have to be the solution Thanks so much

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123