Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default T6 Transmission poll

I am curious to know how many T6 owners have NOT had transmission problems. I have been reading of all of the problems with the T6 4 speed transmission and was wondering if it is just a few bad apples or if there really is a design problem.

My T6 is in the shop today for the 4th time with tranny issues. For the first two, the dealer said a computer upgrade would fix it. The last time they recommended a tranny flush. The service urgent light had come on but it went off before we made it in to the shop so Volvo would not let them touch the transmission. They said "Let's try a flush" which we had to pay for.

Our car is at 48,000 miles and it looks like we will have a new tranny now although we are still waiting to hear back. On the way to the shop with the Transmission Service Urgent light on, the Check Engine light came on as well. I cannot wait to hear what they say this time.

Let me put it this way. The dealership I work at keeps T6 tranny's in stock.

Uh oh. That's not comforting.

Our 04 XC90 T6 has been diagnosed with a leaking rear final drive. Cost to replace? $4400. The vehicle has 51000 miles on it; the warranty expired last June, but we purchased it in December.

Two questions? Any alternative repairs? Any idea how best to approach Volvo? Volvo North America has already denied my request for a courtesy repair due to the vehicle being past the warranty expiration date.
    Last edited by seldon; 02-01-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Was recently shopping for a 2004 XC90, and was at a Volvo dealership that had a T6 on the lot. The Salesman told us not to look at it, said there were too many problems with the tranny. The salesman said this when he could have possibly sold it to us, and he didn't have a 2.5T xc90 on the lot!! What does that say about the reliability??

Also says alot for the integrity of the salesman we dealt with. Thanks Volvo.

We bought a 2.5T XC90 from him a couple weeks later.

Great sales person, and he still had a sale!!

The T6 trans will stand up if the car is driven very conservatively. It is also a
    good trans when matched with a compatible engine. The T6 is a very poor
    match when driven anywhere new the potential of the twin turbo engine.

Your only choice to to look for a private repair mechanic that would probably
    charge less. I am sure they get lots of experience.
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005

Default T6 Transmission Poll

I've had my 05 XC90 (70K miles) in the shop twice over the last two months for what I perceive to be transmission problems. Often, when accelerating from a stop, it shifts very hard from first to second gear. Also, when accelerating from around 40 mph, the RPM's jump with no corresponding downshift and/or acceleration. Of course, the dealership 'can't replicate the problem, but we did a software upgrade and that should solve the problem'. Well, it didn't solve any problem and no, no I haven't seen any messages indicating that I need to check the transmission. So, I'm gonna drive it into the ground, and probably won't buy another Volvo. Can anyone verify that GM actually makes this transmission? I heard that they did, and decifering my VIN, etc seems to indicate as much to the best of my knowledge and decifering abilities, but I have a hard time believing that is the case.

If you have a T6, it's a GM tranny

Yup, it's a T6.

So, the biggest question in my mind is, why-in-the-hell did Volvo make such a decision?

I'm quite sure it simply boils down to cost, but humor me...

My partners 04, T6 developed a rattling noise when coasting. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the tranny immediately, no questions, it was almost as if they where expecting the vehicle in with this type of problem. It had about 45k on it. She has the extended warrenty but her confidence in the vehicle is shaken.

Looks like poor design.

Quote Originally Posted by cx90 View Post
    Yup, it's a T6.

So, the biggest question in my mind is, why-in-the-hell did Volvo make such a decision?

I'm quite sure it simply boils down to cost, but humor me...
    Could never understand this myself, why Volvo, who is owned by Ford, would put a GM minivan tranny in a twin turbo "performance" suv.

Whoever made that decision should be sent to the cold weather testing facility for the next 10 years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast