Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just a little update FWIW!?!! I needed a commuter car for my wife. I really liked the looks of the C30, but didn't even bother going to the dealership to see it in person or test drive it. Bought a low mileage used MINI Clubman!!! All because of the MPG.

Getting 38mpg hwy, 35mpg combined.......normal unleaded;-)

Sorry Volvo! But, I will keep enjoying my XC70 '02 until it needs replacing, hopefully by that time you decide it best to increase your fuel economy through-out your range!!

I think your concerns about MPG are misplaced and will be ignored by Volvo. Volvo have deliberately pitched their vehicles as prestige automobiles (similar to MB, BMW, Saab, Lexus, Infiniti). To compare the MPG of a Volvo to that of any Toyota is comparing apples to oranges. Also, we all know that Volvo's are heavy vehicles. This takes a heavy tool on MPG. The diesel issue is different: most of the car companies (VW and MB are exceptions) seem to think that North American consumers would not accept diesel and, as a result, they do not market many models with diesel engines on this side of the Atlantic. Also, NA diesel was inferior in quality to European diesel and was dirty and smelly. MY09 will change that situation with new diesel engines and cleaner diesel being brought to market. My next vehicle will be diesel or electric.

Default Luxury and Good MPG Should Not Be Mutually Exclusive

For me I am concerned that Volvo is not listening to the consumer about better gas milage. Lexus makes an SUV that is just as heavy (or more) and has more lux features but gets better gas milage then the 08xc. Volvo needs to offer options (6cyl engine, Hybrid engine). I don't want to be told I have to have a hybrid but I do want options and better milage is one of the things I"m interested in my next car.....I did know what I was getting into (but was buying when gas was 1.80 a gallon, not the 4.39 it currently is in CT.

When I consider my next car (and I do love my XC and would like another)....milage will be a huge consideration. I look at safe, lux cars but will put better milage as a solid point of consideration. There's no resason for Volvo to be moving backwards in that area as they have with the 08....they can deliver both if they wanted to and more importantly is the ability to deliver options. In the end thier sales will tell the story if thier strategy is right or not...I'm betting it isn't.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

I think you have confused the issue. A C30 should be getting much better gas mileage. A c30 a prestige auto?!?!?! Come on, who are you kidding!!! Let's be straight forward, Volvo is really not a prestigious car, it is a "want to be"! BMW/MB/lexus/Audi. are prestige autos, Saab/Volvo just fill the nitch above a VW.

Volvo's attempt with a smaller car such as the C30 should of at least had MPG as a selling point, btw how is the C30 selling??! Not so well.

I like volvos and the volvo c30, but my real prestigious car, a 06 porsche gets better gas mileage!

Enjoy your new Diesel, with the cost of diesel being as high as it is you won't be saving a penny and if you go hybrid, well that is a whole other topic;-)

Plus, who said anything about a Toyota?

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    I think your concerns about MPG are misplaced and will be ignored by Volvo. Volvo have deliberately pitched their vehicles as prestige automobiles (similar to MB, BMW, Saab, Lexus, Infiniti). To compare the MPG of a Volvo to that of any Toyota is comparing apples to oranges. Also, we all know that Volvo's are heavy vehicles. This takes a heavy tool on MPG. The diesel issue is different: most of the car companies (VW and MB are exceptions) seem to think that North American consumers would not accept diesel and, as a result, they do not market many models with diesel engines on this side of the Atlantic. Also, NA diesel was inferior in quality to European diesel and was dirty and smelly. MY09 will change that situation with new diesel engines and cleaner diesel being brought to market. My next vehicle will be diesel or electric.

Not an XC owner - but this got my attention while googling for something else.

I have a MY08 V70 D5 - registered date 09-2007 - I collected in 03-2008. It has now done 10000km - 1500km as of collection date.

My first trip across europe was returning around 29mpg (@ 85-90mph on the cruise). This edges up over the next 2 runs to around 31mpg.

After a heavy towing session (my trailer and race car comes in around 1800KG) the non-towing economy dipped heavily - around 16mpg (this matched by old 760 GLE). A trip to the dealer and they diagnosed a couple of high oxygen values causing overfueling. The latest Volvo map. A gentle cruise to Le Mans and then to Zurich returned 35mpg (@75mph on the cruise).

A few weeks back I had the car remapped by the Swiss Heico Sportiv importer. The motorway cruise back (@ 75mph) returned 41mpg - and has averaged 36.5mpg with mixed driving ever since. The remap takes the engine to 210PS and 460NM.

The economy is still 10% down on Volvos figures, but I live in a mountainous country and manufacturer figures are always optimistic.

HOWEVER.......

If you compare Volvo performance and economy to BMW it is very poor - partly because of efficient dynamics, and partly because of the constricted nature of the D5 unit. The EURO IV unit is less efficient that the EURO III unit - and with the D5 now coming in at 1800KG it is hardly a light vehicle.

Putting it in persepective - you have an 1800KG car being hauled around by an 185PS engine.

Would I buy a D5 based on economy? Nope
    Would I buy a V70 based on the cabin, the seats, and the overall package? Yes

I believe every car is a compromise - currently with Volvo you sacrifice class leading handling and economy for class leading cabins, quality materials and superb seats. A friend commented how much nicer the Volvo cabin - especially the quality of the leather - was than his Touraeg.

Default 08 xc70 gas.... the car is spectacular

I no longer need to be first in an intersection
    I no longer need to be at a destination 10 minutes earlier..
    I live in Florida... drivers are NUTS so conservative wins...

posted speed MAXIMUM on interstate is 70 mph... i drive about 65 cruise control with 2500 miles on the engine and I am constantly getting 26.5-27.5mpg

As I said I do not have to be first any longer... I am getting far better then Volvo sticker offered (22)...
    Funny thing is the car was just in for a repair for a week. they rented a mercury sable for me... it felt ok.. got me there ... mileage was about the same on the highway... slightly better around town..

BUT driving home in the xc70 from the dealer when it was repaired convinces me I will own one as long as there is nothing else safer out there.. The weight and comfort meets my needs.... I use an f350 turbo diesel for towing the horse around...

if you want fast buy a fast car
    if you want better mileage buy a smaller car...

Volvo is hearting in the sales department... but I at the moment am a strong believer and would buy another one in a minute if I was in the market...

YMMV

But remember the price for fuel (diesel/gasoline) here in Europe, here in Norway we pay about 10.5 $ pr gallon ca 3$ pr litre. And a brand new XC70 here costs from 140.000$ We are a fu.. up little rich oil country with a goverment who wants to take all our money, extreme taxes on fuel, cars and everything thats fun I think maybe thats why car makers deliver cars with rubberband engines here in europe and real engines in US. I have never seen a XC90 V8 in Norway, maybe its because it costs around 280.000$ here
    Last edited by No(r)way; 08-05-2008 at 09:43 PM.
    NO(R)WAY

Default 24.5 and happy

I get about 24.5 MPG (combined driving) with my 2006 XC70 (2.5T engine) and I'm happy with that despite living in Sweden where $7.85 per gallon is considered a bargain. Here's why:

* My car weighs in at 1.9 tons.
    * It has a big turbocharged engine with 210hp output.
    * It comes with a Haldex AWD system.
    * It has an Geartronic automatic transmission (standard only in America).

All of the above are attributes that increase the fuel consumption and lower the mileage, but at the same time these very same attributes make the top 10 list of the ones that I value the most with my XC70. The weight makes my car safe for me and my family. The engine adds comfortable driving (fast acceleration and lower RPMs) at higher speeds, which combined with the weight provides the very stuff that increase our chances of walking away from a car crash: linear momentum (mass * speed). The Haldex system gets us there and back again when few other cars won't. And who can live without automatic transmission?

All this in a Volvo at 24.5 MPG?! It's a done deal...

If/when I replace this car I will, if I can, buy another XC70 but opt for a diesel engine, as these:

+ Are more fuel efficient
    + Provide impressive torque
    + Have reached acceptable accelerations
    + Give same speeds at lower RPMs (nice for long trips)
    + Are more robust and reliable
    - Are more expensive to buy and to maintain
    Last edited by Fredrik; 08-26-2008 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Typo
    Fredrik

2006 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | YV1SZ595761 | 215579 | 426 | B970
    1969 Volvo 121 Amazon | P131341S | 324684 | 97 | 430-595

My wife and I have owned a number of Volvo's. She will not drive anything else.... Her MY04 S60 gets 30mpg on the highway. Non Turbo. Her late s70 non turbo also got about 28MPG... NOT BAD FOR A BIG HEAVY CAR.... My MY 98 V70 non turbo front wheel drive gets about 28mpg....

Jake
    1998 Volvo V70
    2004 S60
    and a bunch of old GM and Mopar stuff.......

73 Caddy Coupe DeVille
    82 Chevy El Camino
    77 Plymouth Gran Fury BLUES MOBILE
    01 Mercury Grand Marquis
    02 Mercury Grand Marquis
    99 Ford F-150
    99 Harley Davidson Road King
    82 Yamaha Maxim 550
    ONE BIG ASS Frisien Horse Named Hary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12