Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Location of outside air temp sensor

The outside air temp indication on my 2000 X/C 70 AWD seems to read abnormally high. Could someone tell me where the actual sensor is located?

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

I seem to recall discussion in a previous thread that the temp sensor was located on the driver side behind the front bumper. I'll try and confirm this with a VADIS diagram if there is one to be found.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Location of the exterior temperature sensor (3).

Diagram 2 shows the sensor (1) attached to the bracket.

Under the front bumper.
    Every single solitary one of these Gen 1 cars and wagons read about 3 to 4 degrees too HIGH so if yours is about that, nothing you can do, that's it

Thanks all.

I did look at the previous threads on the subject and didn't find the sensors in the areas mentioned. It wasn't in the LH mirror and the air inlet on the driver's side next to the fog light just had an empty mounting hole. I'm away from home at the moment, but will search for the sensor with this new info when I return.

The reason I was asking was that mine seems to consistently read 10-15 deg F higher than OAT. I had the car serviced shortly after buying it used. It seems that it read more accurately before that, but I can't say that for certain.

Karl
    Bloomington, IL

Default Easy to Fix

Your sensor has simply "popped" out of the hole that holds and when it does that it falls behind the bumper and reads high. Mine has done it a couple of times and I can always tell due to the high temp reading. As JRL said it normally runs 4-5 high but when it pops out it is usally 10-15 degrees high. You'll just have to reach back behind the bumper (through that small grill below the fog lights) and you'll find the sensor attached to it's wires (you hope!) lose behind the bumper. it's a bit trickey (especially if you have big fingers) but I can push it forward hard enought to pop it back into place with the little "nipple" thing (sensor tip) pointing back out of the hole in the plastic that holds the sensor. Good luck.
    Tom
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

My 2000's have two sensors. The second one is in the front on the passenger side.

1978 242 DL Sedan
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Beige)
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Silver)
    2000 V70 XC Moondust
    2000 V70 XC SE Moondust

Default chk engine light & code 0073 "ambient air temp sensor" ??

2005 XC70 - I'm getting a check engine light and the code says it is a P0073 which I see is the ambient temp sensor. The AC has had the hot/cold issue these past months and they are probably related.
    Need to figure out what to fix to get the chk engine to go off & secondarily to get the AC working properly.

Any thoughts?.

After spending close to an hour with a light and inspection mirror, reaching inside the grille as far as I could and not finding anything, I ended up dropping the plastic guard behind the bumper to get a better look. There it was, hanging in the bottom of the pan. Popped it back in and it seemed to be pretty secure. Possibly it was pulled and not replaced that last time it was serviced.

Thanks to all for the assistance.

Karl
    2000 X/C 70

if this sensor was removed from the car would it have any effect other than not displaying the temperature on the dash? My car will not start when it is below freezing and thought I could fool it if the temperature sensor was removed or always indicated a higher than freezing reading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast