Default Won't start - rapid clicking

After running a couple of errands this morning, my wife went out to start the car again and nothing happened except rapid fire clicking and lights. No messages, no warnings, etc. I ran home and tried a few things - checked all relays, fuses, etc. Same problem - sometimes when you move the key to the start position you get rapid fire clicking in the engine bay, other times just lots of dash panel clicking and lights flickering. Power memory seats do not work, though radio does. I've got to believe that this is some kind of ECU failure. I've disconnected the battery cable and I'll reattach and try again, but I'm afraid this means a tow to the dealer (I bought an extended warranty). Car has about 83Kmi on it - it's an '01.

Any other thoughts?

Sounds like either your starter or your battery failed.
    (Yes, the battery can fail that quickly)

90% chance it is a dead or defective battery. Had 2 year old one die before, cracked plates or a short internally. It did all sorts of weird things.

Good news is it's a relatively cheap fix.
    2003 XC70 Black, Towing a 17' Glastron

Cars past and present -> '77 Buick Skyhawk ->'79 Honda Accord ->'86 Mazda 323 LX ->'90 Ford Probe -> '92 Ford Explorer Sport ->'96 Dodge Stratus ->'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee ->2003 Volkswagen Passat ->2005 Mazda 6 (still own)

You guys are good. After posting the message yesterday, I tried to give the car a jump and Voila! - it started right up. So yes, some kind of internal battery failure. Drove it around to 3 different tire/battery places to find a replacement and finally had to go straight to an Interstate Battery store to get the MPT-H6 exact replacement. $140 later, I'm back in business. Could've been a lot worse - I was getting ready to have it towed 30 miles to the dealer that I have my warranty with!

I'm still a little surprised that with all those electronics that a little message couldn't be put up that said that my battery shot - not tough to detect that battery voltage dropped badly when key is turned to "run" position (under load from daytime running lights, etc. - the battery voltage probably dropped to some low voltage that caused all the strange computer/relay crazyness).

Glad it worked out. It is amazing how a bad battery can do some really strange things.
    2003 XC70 Black, Towing a 17' Glastron

Cars past and present -> '77 Buick Skyhawk ->'79 Honda Accord ->'86 Mazda 323 LX ->'90 Ford Probe -> '92 Ford Explorer Sport ->'96 Dodge Stratus ->'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee ->2003 Volkswagen Passat ->2005 Mazda 6 (still own)

Quote Originally Posted by Turchman View Post
    Glad it worked out. It is amazing how a bad battery can do some really strange things.
    That certainly is true in todays cars, almost everything is controlled and commanded by "computer",
    if battery voltage is marginal, computer systems can behave very unpredictable
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)